7 Halloween Movies For Scaredy-Cats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

BOO! Halloween – spooky isn’t it? I was always the little girl who dressed up as a princess instead of going as a vampire. I like being scared, don’t get me wrong, but when it comes to watching horror movies I’m sort of a baby. But everyone has to watch some scary movies just because it’s almost Halloween and it’s basically a requirement. Plus, watching a scary movie is always a good excuse to cuddle up with your boyfriend or have a slumber party with your girls! Here’s some scary movies that I think are good for everyone (even a scaredy cat like me)!

1) Disturbia: This 2007 American thriller slasher film (partly inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window) is one of the best. Not only is this movie scary, but it has a story more so then just trying to freak you out. It’s about a boy who is on house arrest who spies on his neighbors, he then discovers that one of his neighbors might be a serial killer and tries to solve the mystery. It’s a good one, but there will be some moments that make you jump! But nothing that will give you nightmares for the week.

2) The Uninvited: This 2009 American remake of the 2003 South Korean horror film ‘A Tale of Two Sisters’ is the perfect movie if you like a twist. I won’t say more then that but I’ve had to watch this movie more then once just to make sure I understood everything that happened. Anna Rydell returns home to her sister (and best friend) Alex after a stint in a mental hospital, though her recovery is jeopardized thanks to her cruel stepmother, aloof father, and the presence of a ghost in their home. One of my favorites if you like more of a psychological thriller.

3) The Roommate: A perfect psychological thriller if you don’t have any issues with your roommate right now, if you do I’d stay away from this one. This movie is about a deranged college freshman who becomes obsessed with her new roommate at college. If you do pick this one to watch, just to be clear it’s not up for an Oscar by any means, but it’s scary and it’s a little freaky too but not something you want to waste money on by purchasing the DVD. Then again, are any horror movies ever worth that?

4) Sorority Row: Another low quality but still worthy of a watch once in a while is Sorority Row. It’s another one that might seem kind of stupid, but at least you won’t have nightmares for weeks and you’ll get a nice little scare out of it. It’s about a group of sorority sisters who try to cover up the death of their house-sister after a prank gone wrong, only to be stalked by a serial killer. It’s probably not something that would happen in reality, but if you were hesistant on joining a sorority I wouldn’t use this movie as a reference to what you’re missing out on.

5) When a Stranger Calls: Definitely a scary one, but also a really interesting concept that might make you never want to babysit again, or at least not when you want to watch this. The movie is about an otherwise routine babysitting gig, a high-school student is harassed by an increasingly threatening prank caller.

6) Prom Night: This is the perfect girl horror movie because what could ruin prom like a sadistic killer from your past? Donna’s just you’re average girl trying to enjoy her senior prom but someone has different plans for her and her friends. There are some really freaky parts of this movie, but it’s a good one for a bunch of girls. Kinda bloody, just to warn you!

7) Gone: I just saw this the other day and it was pretty crazy! A woman is convinced her kidnapper has returned and taken her sister. It stars Amanda Seyfriend, and she does a great job in the movie. I was really scared for a long portion of the movie and was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen. I had a pretty crappy ending after such a build up but I still really liked it, a good one for the mind games definitely!

I wish I could make a longer list, but there really aren’t that many not-so-scary scary movies out there. These are all relatively scary, but they don’t compare at all to the ring, or silence of the lambs. If you’re looking for something that will make you scream your head off until your RA comes to your room this is definitely the wrong list for you! But, if you’re just looking for a good old scary movie that won’t scare you out of walking in the dark to get Wildcatessan at 1 AM, this is definitely you’re type of list. Pick one and make some popcorn! It’s almost Halloween, so what better way to spend one of your nights then watching a scary movie with friends!

Leah Tully is currently studying nutrition, wellness, and writing at the University of New Hampshire.