7 Essential Comfort Movies for When You Simply Need a Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As we work our way through midterms and the workload gets heavier, sometimes the best option is to take a study break and watch a good movie. Personally, movies have always been one of my favorite ways to relax and unwind after stressful days; there’s nothing better than getting cozy with some good snacks, friends, and blankets to enjoy a film together. With that being said, these are seven of my favorite movies to view when I need it the most. 

1. Back to The Future (Netflix) 

Something about the dynamic between Marty McFly and Doc Brown seems to always put a smile on my face. Released in 1985, this movie has the nostalgia factor as well as jokes that would still be funny if released today. There’s action, romance, and a great soundtrack. Also- there are two sequels if you just can’t get enough! 

2. Sleepless in Seattle (Netflix) 

This 1993 film starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan is one of my personal favorite Rom-Coms. The film opens at Christmastime, serving good vibes right off the bat. It may be a bit cheesy and predictable, but sometimes you just need a feel-good film like this as a little pick-me-up. It also gets bonus points for being set partially in New York City, because who doesn’t love a classic NYC love story? 

3. About Time (Netflix) 

I’m going to give a small disclaimer about this one — keep tissues near. About Time not only has plotlines about love and romance, but the significance of family and precious time. This movie is both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time, so be prepared to get hurt. That being said, I would still watch this movie over and over again. 

4. Lady Bird (Netflix) 

Greta Gerwig outdid herself with this one. I remember seeing Lady Bird for the first time in the theater and crying my eyes out. This film is a modern coming of age story starring the iconic and beautiful Saoirse Ronan as she navigates her relationship with her mother, best friend, and the end of her senior year of high school. It’s a highly acclaimed film and one of my favorite A24 productions. 

5. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (Amazon Prime Video) 

I may be biased considering this is my favorite film ever, but Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is the epitome of a comfort film. The setting in a sunny Chicago suburb, the mid 80’s fashion, the iconic lines — it all compiles to create a film that feels like a warm hug. The scene of Ferris singing “Twist and Shout” on the parade float lives rent-free in my mind. 

6. Palm Springs (Hulu) 

Palm Springs is a new film starring Andy Samburg and Cristin Milioti, proving them to be a dynamic duo. This movie is action-packed with a splash of comedy and romance, checking all the boxes to create a refreshing viewing experience. 

7. Little Women (Amazon Prime Video or STARZ subscription) 

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: Greta Gerwig outdid herself with this one. Even though this film has been made before, somehow I felt like I was hearing the story of the March sisters for the first time. The performances of Saoirse Ronan as Jo and Florence Pugh as Amy were showstopping and bring an exceptional dynamic to this 2019 film. 

Movies have a way of transporting you into a new world and allowing you to unwind, even if only for a few hours. One last reminder: don’t forget to take care of yourself during midterms, even though tests may seem like the most important thing in the world right now! 

Hi! I'm Meaghan and I'm a Freshman at the University of New Hampshire majoring in Recreation Management & Policy from Scituate, Massachusetts. I love music, the outdoors, and writing!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!