6 Things That Confuse Me About UNH as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a native to Massachusetts, after high school for some reason I decided to go to college far away from New England. I thought of college as my chance to explore a new part of the country so I chose a university located near Cincinnati, Ohio. After a year and half there I realized how damn great the Northeast is and wanted to make my way back to a school in New England. As a transfer to UNH who has been here for less than a month, I’m loving it, but there are some things about this school that confuse the hell out of me.

1. Cinco de Mayo

Why is everyone here so obsessed with Cinco de Mayo? This was the first thing that confused me when I moved here. I overheard so many people reminiscing about their time on Cinco de Mayo which made me wonder when did this become a holiday every college kid celebrates? Who started this tradition? Also, what do you do if you have class? Do professors care if you skip? I’ve heard some people say it’s the best day of the year, so despite the fact that I’m confused why everyone celebrates it, I’m excited.

2. No tank tops at the gym??

Okay, this really confuses the hell out of me. As I was leaving to go to the gym for the first time, my roommates mentioned to me that both guys and girls aren’t allowed to wear tank tops in the fitness center. At first I was shocked, but now I’m just so confused. My previous school definitely did not have a rule like this. I’m just wondering who came up with this rule and why? It seems to be pretty outdated, but I have a feeling everyone else on campus is also slightly confused by this rule.

3. All of the abbreviations i.e. “Dhop”, “Hoco”, the “MUB”

As with probably any college, I’ve noticed the kids here abbreviate everything.  After a few weeks, I’m starting to learn the lingo, but every day there seems to be some new abbreviation I hear someone say that makes me think “huh?” For example, I really had no idea what “dhop” meant. I thought that it might be some Durham version of IHOP. Other abbreviations like “Hoco” or the “MUB” had me so confused at first. Hopefully I’ll catch up on all of the abbreviations soon.

4. Wild Kitty

When I first heard the term “wild kitty” I would have never guessed that it was an on campus food place. Now that I know what it is, what’s the big deal about it? I heard they sell mozzarella sticks and chicken tenders, but are they really that good? I guess it’s just something I’ll have to experience to find out.

5. Homecoming

At my previous school, there was technically a homecoming weekend, but it wasn’t something people actually cared about. So now when I hear my friends talking about all their memories from homecoming weekend, I think to myself, wait what? People here actually celebrate UNH’s homecoming? By celebrate, I’m assuming that means people just go out all weekend, but is it really that different from normal Friday and Saturday nights.  I’ve heard there’s a football game and tailgate, but do students actually watch the game? Oh well, whatever UNH’s homecoming is will definitely be way more fun than my old school’s homecoming.

6.  How beautiful campus is

I’ve only been here for a few weeks now, but every day when I walk to class and pass through snowy trails, cross over streams, and walk through the woods I am amazed at how beautiful this campus is.  While breathing in the fresh New Hampshire air and seeing friendly faces, I realized I never felt this waywhen I was walking around campus in Ohio. I’m wondering is this what it feels like to genuinely like your school? 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!