This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Just like that October is almost over, but that also means one of the best times of the year is almost here, Halloween! One of the best parts of this holiday, besides dressing up and going out, is the abundance of spooky movies that make their way back to our television screens. There are some movies that you must watch or it doesn’t really feel like Halloween at all. Here they are:

1. Halloweentown (1998)

This childhood classic full of giggles and thrills is a no brainer. From wishing we were Marnie to being terrified when Kalabar was disguised as a demon. Oh and don’t forget about what a cool grandma Aggie was. All four movies are great but I think we all can say the first one can’t be beat. You can watch Halloweentown on Disney Channel.

2. Halloween (1978) 

If you really don’t want Halloween season to end, then you must watch this movie because you will have nightmares for a month… Michael Myers will give you those hair raising chills that keep you on edge all night. This movie is pretty much THE Halloween scary movie (I mean c’mon, it’s the title). So if you are into frights this is the movie for you. P.S. don’t watch it alone. Watch Halloween on AMC this weekend. 

3. Addams Family (1991)

This spooky family will give you a good laugh this Halloween season. The Addams Family is the movie for you if you don’t feel like jumping or covering your eyes the whole time. The theme song will get stuck in your head. Also, I think we can all agree that Wednesday Addams is awesome…in her weird, creepy way. Watch it on Freeform!

4. Friday the 13th (1980)

Here is another classic horror film to frighten you. Jason will haunt your dreams and you might not want to step foot on a campground again. The entire franchise consists of twelve movies currently, so if you want to keep the thrills coming have a marathon! Watch Friday the 13th on AMC.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Technically no one knows whether this is a Halloween or Christmas movie, but you get to step into the gothic world of Tim Burton which is always acceptable at this time of year. You won’t be able to stop yourself from singing along with Jack Skellington and the Oogie Boogie man. Watch this classic on Freeform.

6. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Were you really surprised? This classic has become the tradition in Halloween cinema. This movie never gets old and must be watched for it to truly feel like Halloween. You will find yourself saying the lines and still laughing at the jokes (the movie is 10x funnier when you’re older). This year Freeform is having a marathon of Hocus Pocus on Halloween day!

UNH Journalism Student
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!