The 6 Lessons My Sister Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Having a sister is something that can have its moments of absolute chaos, but is ultimately one of the greatest gifts the world has to offer. And when you have a sister as inspiring as mine that teaches you so many valuable life lessons, it is even more precious. Growing up with an older sibling who has Down Syndrome has been one of the most influential things in shaping my identity today. She shows me a whole new side of life and with her wisdom she has helped me get through the toughest of times.  

1. There Is No Such Thing As Colors/Patterns That Mismatch

My sister loves fashion and isn’t afraid of taking risks. From sequence to neon colors she isn’t shy about trying on something new. Due to her colorful personality, she definitely has a unique kind of style. Thus she tries on very untraditional outfits that some people would never dream of wearing, but she loves it. With this amazing part of her personality, my sister has shown me that if you love something and it makes you feel good when you wear it, then you shouldn’t care what other people think. Your overall happiness at the end of the day is all that counts. Whatever gives you that extra pep in your step when you are walking down the street should be the only thing that matters.

2. Life Is Always Better When You Are Carefree

My sister is the definition of a carefree spirit, especially when it comes to listening to music. No matter what she is listening to, she will always sing at the top of her lungs and dance like nobody’s watching. She will get down anywhere and everywhere music is playing. Whether it is when we are walking down the street in the city or sitting in our car listening to music, if she likes the beat you’ll know it. That kind of attitude helps remind me that it’s okay to immerse yourself in an activity that fills you with joy. To not be afraid of letting go and allowing yourself to be more than just another face in the crowd. She teaches me that it’s okay to stand out and truly enjoy life because there is no harm in doing so.

3. Creativity Is In Everyone

Now, I may be biased in saying this because I am her sister but, my sis is incredibly creative. Due to who she is, she has such an interesting perspective on art. She loves to color and create these beautiful rich pieces that really give her work a unique voice of its own. Her gift of art shows me that creativity is widespread and in everyone. Being creative is not relative to the level of your IQ but to someone who can make something out of nothing through using their mind and allowing their voice to be heard.

4. You Can Overcome Any Obstacle Life Throws Your Way

My sister and my family have tried very hard to make sure that she never feels limited by her abilities when deciding what she wants to pursue in life. She is a Special Olympic gymnast, a basketball player, a cook, a dancer at the Boston Ballet, and an artist. Whatever she wants to pursue we support her and encourage her growth just as she does for us. Does she have to solve challenges a different way than I would? Of course but so don’t all of us, no one solves a problem the same way. Growing up seeing her overcome so many of life’s challenges with a smile on her face and an optimistic attitude has truly inspired me. It teaches me that the only thing stopping you from accomplishing your goals in life is your attitude towards adversity and your hunger to get better. She shows me that giving up should never be an option because certain odds are stacked against you. You need to go after the things you want in life and allow yourself to fail but fail forward. To not allow the failure we all face in life to bring you down but to help you grow into a better version of yourself.

5. Appreciate The Little Things

My sister is a very observant person, so when I hug her she will compliment on the smallest things like if my hands are warm, if my clothes are soft or if my hair smells good. It’s those little compliments and moments that I have begun to appreciate because of her deep attention to it. She is someone who appreciates how bright it is outside one day more than a grand gift/gesture. What is enough for my sister is holding her hand, buying her a coffee or teaching her how to do eye makeup. Of course, she enjoys present and grand gestures but her appreciation of things that are so overlooked has helped shape most of my identity. With this lesson, she has truly helped me pay so much more attention to all of the good in each day instead of the bad. Even if it’s the smallest thing like my hands being soft or a beautiful breeze, enjoying those things instead of focusing on the negative has made me appreciate a lot more of the simple joys in life.

6. Love Is All You Need

The love and admiration that I feel for my sister is something that truly cannot be fully expressed with words. She loves life, people, and food with all of her heart and nothing less. The compassion that she has for animals and for others is something that truly inspires me the most. There is no shortage of love she can give to strangers or life long friends. From a hug to telling a good joke she is always willing to give love to those who are willing to accept it. Her kindness and compassion towards others are one of the many remarkable things about her. How she loves and the way she loves is what makes my sisters one of the most wonderful human beings I have ever met.

Though it hasn’t always been easy living with such a beautiful diva, I truly don’t know who I would be without her. But through it all, I know that I absolutely wouldn’t want my life to be any other way. She has changed my life and the lesson I keep learning from her grow and grow each day. She truly is the biggest ray of sunshine and the greatest sister a girl could ask for. xoxo

I like adventures and Adele....But mostly Adele.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!