Career > Her20s

5 Ways to Take Care of Yourself in the Midst of a Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Give Yourself a Minute 

This may seem like such a small thing, but giving yourself even a few minutes in the midst of a busy schedule can help calm down stress. You can even do a simple breathing exercise to bring your heart rate down. One of my favorite breathing techniques is breathing in for 4 seconds, holding it for 4 seconds, and then releasing it out for 4 seconds. Doing this a few times automatically brings your heart rate down and helps you relax.

Essential Oils and Crystals

I’ve started to get into using crystals and essential oils. Essential oils are a great natural tool for use. I use lavender every night for relaxation before bed and grapefruit oil is great for anxiety. Crystals are also a great source for spirituality or even just to use for comfort. There are so many out there to use for different reasons. I personally wear obsidian and angelite bracelets every day. I also carry rose quartz around during school and amethyst and clear quartz are great for studying. I highly recommend researching crystals and essential oils before use in order to use them safely. 

Journaling

I love journaling. I use many journals to write about different things, from everyday life to fictional stories. Taking time out of my day to just write brings me a sense of peace in the chaos. It truly helps to release stress. Additionally, I have been trying to write some positive daily affirmations like “I am beautiful” or “I am strong”. These might seem silly, but as a person who struggles with my body image, they help me so much. Journaling is a great and healthy way for self-care.

Eating and Drinking Regularly 

Okay, this one is pretty self-explanatory, but probably one of the most important ones. I have days when I am so busy that food just seems like extra work or I just completely forget to drink water. Not eating and drinking regularly puts a lot of strain on your body. It is important to try to eat three meals a day and drink lots of water, especially amidst a busy schedule. 

Take Time to do Something You Love

When I have a super busy week, I like to plan out when I will have even just a little bit of free time. In this time you can do something you love. For me that’s sitting down, lighting some candles, and reading a book. Book Tok has become an addiction at this point and my to-read list is far too long. Setting aside this time to do something I love really grounds me and gives me time to stop and just be present in the moment with my book. Other things that I do are adult coloring books or even just scrolling through Tik Tok. You want to give yourself some time to just exist in a world that never stops. If you are interested in starting a new book, I’ll list some recommendations below!

Book Recs

November 9th – Colleen Hoover

It Ends with Us – Colleen Hoover

A Court of Thorns and Roses – Sarah J. Mass

The Hating Game – Sally Thorne

The Unhoneymooners – Christina Lauren 

Punk 57 – Penelope Douglass

Casey is currently at Senior at the University of New Hampshire. She is studying English and Psychology.