courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Make Your New House a Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

5 Ways to Make Your New House a Home

1) Make your bedroom your own space

Your bedroom is your space. It is where you go to escape from everything. It is where you go to watch Netflix and relax in bed. It is where you conquer that impossible research paper that you have been putting off for weeks. It is where you go to have endless facetime chats with your friends about a boy you’re crushing on! Make it your room. 

I fill my room with the comfiest of pillows and fuzzy blankets! I like to put candles around my room and pictures of my family and friends. Hang posters, lights or tapestries to make it as comfortable as you can. For me, I like to have a theme to my room. Lately it has been pinks and greys. Whatever your décor turns out to be, make sure that it is what you want and what you like! 

2) Get rid of the unpacked boxes

Empty boxes mean unnecessary clutter, and we don’t need that. The moving process can be stressful enough as it is, so why add on to that stress with empty boxes? Dispose of a box every two hours, or a box every morning if you have a busy schedule. Unpack your stuff and get rid of the boxes. It will feel good to walk into your new house and notice that all the boxes are gone and it is now more of your home.  

3) Hang up family pictures 

Nothing says home like some family pictures hung up on walls, the refrigerator, or placed on the living room coffee table. Pictures are always a great conversation starter or even just something to look at and smirk because you remember the exact moment that picture was taken. This is your place now, so make it what you want! 

4) Invite friends over

There is nothing better than having a house warming party or inviting some friends over to give them the “grand tour”. Show them the upstairs, the downstairs, the cool tiny closet in the hallway. Show them the fancy dishwasher and the creepy unfinished basement that reminds of the basement from Home Alone. Inviting friends over is a great way for you to take ownership of your home and share it with the ones you care about! 

5) Make your favorite home cooked meal 

For me this is New England Boiled dinner. My mom makes it a big production with massive amounts of corned beef, potatoes, and carrots. She sets up the kitchen table with side plates, some candles, and a nice table cloth. My brother and I always sneak into the slow cooker when she isn’t looking and snag a carrot or two because we can’t wait another 15 minutes until it’s done. This dinner is one of the few times where all of our schedules align and my brother isn’t at baseball practice and my mom and I aren’t at work, so it is always a special dinner. 

No matter where your next house is, make sure to take some time to really make it feel like a home. This will be the place that you make memories with your family. It will be the place that you spend rainy days at with a movie marathon, the place that you find secret hiding spots to stay in and scare your siblings with. Make it your home. 

UNH Club Vball!!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!