freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways to Deal with a Long Distance Relationship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Long distance. It’s something everyone in a relationship fears and rejects.

“How can you even be in a long distance relationship? It’s never going to workout,” I hear those words much too often.

Only having done long distance for two months so far, I am probably not completely qualified to give advice to people. But hey, two months of long distance is longer than some couples will ever do, right? So here it goes, my ultimate guide as a girl in a long distance relationship in college.

1. Communicate – BIG TIME!

I cannot stress this factor enough. Communication is key in any relationship, but when you’re hundreds or thousands of miles away from each other, this is one of the most important things you and your partner can do. If something bothers you, do not be passive aggressive, tell them how you feel and why you feel that way. You don’t have the luxury anymore of being able to see one another on a daily basis. Lack of communication has its consequences. It can cause insecurity, mistrust, anger, and built up resentment.

2. Take time every day to talk about something important to you

Whether this is over FaceTime, text, or a phone call, talk about something significant to you. Talk about your day, how your professor called you out in class, your big test tomorrow and how it’s stressing you out, absolutely anything. Having this time together to talk about something other than being tired or hating your life makes distance feel so small. Sometimes talking to your partner about something significant to your life rather than just small talk can bring you that much closer.

3. Keep it interesting

Alright, I’m about to get R rated. For all my sexual ladies, I know how hard long distance can be regarding sex. Take advantage of how much your partner misses you, because you’ll get the best compliments ever on how you look (trust me on this one). Plus, it will make things heat up that much more when you finally see each other. But on a more serious note, being sexual with one another even though you’re separated by distance brings you closer and makes you feel intimate and special to one another again, giving the reassurance you need in a relationship.

3. Plan visit dates when you can

Not seeing each other is obviously the hardest part about long distance, so planning dates of when you will visit each other is crucial. You and your partner need to talk about dates of when you will visit each other, and it will definitely keep you motivated to get through the week or month you have until you see each other. Having the build up of when you get to see each other next is one of the most exciting parts of a long distance relationship, and it’s definitely worth it when you finally see each other.

4. Keep your sense of humor alive – and never stop showing how you feel

This portion somewhat goes with communication, but in a different sense. In order for you and your partner to keep things as normal as possible regardless of separation, you need to keep your sense of humor alive. Joke with each other, tease each other, do whatever you can to still make each other laugh. Keeping this part of your relationship reminds you why you are together, and keeps things normal, as best as possible. Also, never fail to tell them how you feel. Tell them you love them, tell them they look good in that picture, do what you can to make your partner happy because everyone knows how hard it can be to do that from a distance.

For the most part, you just have to try and do your best to keep things as normal as possible. Things will get weird for sure, but every relationship has its ups and downs, so embrace it. Be proud of your strength in long distance, most people would never be able to do it!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!