Money and Career Hero Images 5png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money and Career Hero Images 5png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

5 Tips to Achieve Your Career Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As someone who has actively set and accomplished their career goals thus far, I can confidently say you can too!

Build Connections

Connections are a great resource to have when applying for jobs or figuring out what you may be interested in doing career wise for the foreseeable future. A great way to build connections is through LinkedIn. This is a great platform for networking with individuals who may be currently in the field you would like to go into. It can be daunting to message people, so crafting a short message template that you can change depending on who you are messaging is a great way to start a conversation. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to family and friends to see if they know anyone who can offer you advice or put you in contact with someone who may be in the career you would like to go into.

Take Advantage of Free Courses and Certifications 

This is a great resume builder and can help you learn more about the job you want to go into. Many companies like seeing candidates who actively pursue work in the field aside from taking a college course. It may also help you determine the specific aspects of a field that you may want to go into. In addition to gaining more knowledge, you may be able to apply some of the material you learn to your own life both personal and in school. 

Always Write a Cover Letter 

Cover letters allow employers to get a better understanding of who you are as a candidate when applying to jobs. They allow you to talk about aspects about yourself that someone wouldn’t know just by looking at your resume. Many companies may say that the cover letter is optional, but you should always write one. It’s best to have a brief template started and then craft it towards the company you are looking to work for. Make sure to highlight strengths that correlate to the job as well. As someone who was  one of only two people who submitted a cover letter for my previous internship and got the job, I can confidently say it’s always worth it.

Create an Action Plan 

Setting specific goals and actions in order to achieve them is very important in getting the job you want or advancing your career. If you know that the career you want involves an internship first, then create a plan of how you can get an internship. You can start by making sure you have relevant experience in the field through clubs and organizations on campus or by taking certain classes that can help you achieve the knowledge needed for the internship. You can also set time aside each week to apply to jobs and do things that will build your resume.

Don’t Get Discouraged 

If you don’t get the first, second, or twentieth job you apply to, don’t give up. It’s very hard to keep pushing yourself after any rejection but allows those rejections to be your motivation to keep going. Just because someone you know got a job after their first interview doesn’t mean that happens to everyone. It takes time to find the right job for yourself and to figure out exactly what you want to do in your career. We all can get discouraged at times when we go on LinkedIn or see people posting about their new job, but you will be that person soon enough. If you focus on yourself and keep actively working towards a better future, you will achieve it!

Instagram: @alexaoleary Communication Major
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!