5 Things I Hope Freshman Year Will Teach Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

1. How to Manage My Time.

I found it really surprising how much free time I have here at college.  With all this time though, I also found myself having a lot of distractions.  I am prone to procrastination and am already creating bad habits.  By the end of my freshman year, I hope to be a lot better at managing my time so that I can feel confident going into exams. 

2. How to Manage My Money.

With Wild Catessen and Starbucks right out of my front step, it’s hard not to want to go there every morning.  Also, knowing that whatever I order on Amazon Prime will deliver in 2 days, there are many temptations.  With a tight budget, I really need to manage how much I should allow myself to spend each week and on what.

3. How to Make Time for the Gym.

Classes, friends, meals, and homework keep my schedule pretty full.  Hearing that the “freshman 15” is inevitable, I have a lot of motivation to work out vs. sit in my room and finish a pint of Ben and Jerry’s (which has already happened).  I keep telling myself that I will go to the gym at least once per week, then twice, then three time.  I hope that by the end of my freshman year, I will give up excuses and find the time to avoid the notorious “freshman 15.”

4. How to Stay off of Netflix.

One of my bad habits it that when I have piles of homework, I just don’t do any of it.  And while I’m busy not doing any of it, Netflix is always there to encourage it.  I can’t say that I don’t feel guilty about it, because I do (kind of), but it just never seems to stop me from doing it the next time.  I don’t want to make the unrealistic goal of never binge-watching Netflix, but I will make it my goal to only do it when I really have the time.

5. How to Resist Having Dessert at Every Meal.

The chocolate chip cookies, the marble cake, the unlimited amounts of soft serve I can get at the dining halls is a dangerous, dangerous thing.  Also on the note of avoiding the “freshman 15,” I hope to learn that there is a salad bar.  I hope to find less fattening desserts like a bowl of yogurt with granola instead of a bowl of soft serve with chocolate syrup and rainbow jimmies with a brownie to top it off.  I keep telling myself that “tomorrow” I will only have a cookie with one of my meals; then I end up having three cookies with each three of my meals.  Hopefully by the end of my freshman year I can get resist the delicious desserts of the Holloway Commons.

My name is Giselle Pimentel and I am a Freshman at the University of New Hampshire.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!