This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

During this time in quarantine, it’s natural to feel down more often. I have been feeling FOMO just from life. This year was supposed to be a big year for me. I was going to Italy for spring break, then to study abroad in Greece for 6 weeks in the summer. I’m sure many others are in the same situation. Instead of being sad and negative about this whole thing, I’m making the absolute best of quarantine and here are 5 things you can do to feel happy! 

1. Exercise 

Doing any sort of physical activity is the best way to pass time and it boosts your mood. I’m not saying go run a marathon, but all over YouTube there are some short 10 minute workouts that seem to be really effective. I know that quarantine can do a number on mental health, but getting some physical exercise can help! 

2. Baking/cooking 

This is the perfect time to try new recipes. I personally love cooking dinner for my mom. Because I am a vegetarian, I love trying new recipes with lots of veggies to stay healthy. I’ve also loved making banana bread, and chia seed pudding for some sweet treats.

3. Video call friends 

Although all students are using Zoom for class, it can also be used to FaceTime friends and catch up! Staying isolated is the best thing you can do to help this pandemic end, but it gets lonely. I miss my college friends so much but we have been doing zoom calls where we can all hang out and have fun. 

4. Get a puppy 

This is obviously not something everyone can do but if you are stable enough, this is the perfect time to get a new puppy! When are you going to be home and be able to give your puppy all of your attention? My sister and her boyfriend have been planning to get a puppy this summer, but since they are both working from home they moved it up and brought home the cutest puppy in the world! It has helped them be able to tolerate staying in a 750 square foot apartment and has brought them so much happiness. 

5. Watch a new series

Some days when you are feeling unmotivated, binge watch Netflix. It’s amazing. There are so many great shows on Netflix that will help pass the time of staying home. I recommend Outer Banks, Criminal Minds, and Vampire Diaries (Damon Salvatore, you’ll thank me later)

I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

UNH
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!