5 Museum Exhibitions You Need to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The art world is constantly changing. There is new work being produced every day and more artists being discovered. I love enveloping myself in someone’s artwork and looking at it for hours. Sitting in a quiet museum and looking at magnificent masterpieces make me feel at ease and inspired. Going to a special exhibition where a certain artist or artists are featured for a specific time only is a great way to discover art you haven’t seen before. I’ve researched a few of these exhibitions and listed them down below. I hope you get a chance to check them out and maybe find a new favorite artist!

1. Takashi Murakami: Lineage of Eccentrics

A Collaboration with Nobuo Tsuji and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Murakami creates these stunningly beautiful contemporary pieces, which are then juxtaposed with traditional Japanese art from the MFA’s collection. This comparison is important as it creates a conversation between the old and the new. Murakami’s pieces, which range from paintings to sculptures, are paired with writings from Professor Nobuo Tsuji, a famous Japanese art historian. The show is up until April 1st at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts.

2. The Robbers

German Art in a Time of Crisis

This exhibition features 30 German prints created during the World Wars and highlight artist George Grosz. Grosz’ lithographs showcase the dangerous climate of 1920s Berlin, Germany. The exhibition will also feature works from artists such as Max Beckmann and Otto Dix. This show is up until July 15th at the Portland Museum of Art in Portland, Maine.

3. William Eggleston: Los Alamos

Photographer William Eggleston has 75 dye transfer prints from color negatives featured in this exhibition. The photos were taken between 1965 – 1974. Eggleston captured the lives of those during this time period through a series of photographs taken on various road trips across America. This show is up until May 28th at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

4. Tarsila do Amaral: Inventing Modern Art in Brazil

do Amaral’s work is a hybrid between of Cubism and Modernism, as she uses bright colors and everyday scenes. This specific exhibition focuses on her work created in the 1920s, where she produced work inspired by both her hometown of São Paulo and the place she studied art, Paris. This show is up until June 3rd at The Museum of Modern Art in New York City.

5. Fernando Bryce: The Book of Needs

Bryce’s book is comprised of 81 ink-on-paper drawings that focus on the subjects of science, education, race, culture, politics, and more. The book goes through and shows just how prevalent these issues still are in our day and age. He recreated specific historical documents in an attempt to show history through these pieces. The show is up until May 6th at the Harvard Art Museum in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Start planning a road trip to see these amazing pieces in person!

Hello! I'm Julianna and I graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a major in BFA: Photography and a minor in Business Administration. I was a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter beginning in October 2016. In September 2017, I got promoted to Senior Editor, and then I was one of UNH's Campus Correspondents for the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year! This organization was such an incredible experience and I can't wait to see what great things the chapter does in the future. HCXO, Julianna :) http://juliannasagliano.com/
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!