5 Halloween Movies You Have to Watch Before Spooky Season Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas is my all-time favorite Halloween movie.  It provides the perfect combination of creepy and funny, all packed into a Claymation musical.  The songs in this movie are such classics that I can’t help singing along every time that I watch it (which is often).  Jack Skeleton and Sally also can provide quick and cute couple’s costumes (or a solo one!) if you’re looking for last-minute Halloween costume ideas.

2. Sinister (2012)

This one is for all the folks out there that enjoy a good scary movie from time to time.  It might not be your typical Halloween-themed movie, but I always watch Sinister around this time of year because it is the ONLY scary movie I have watched that continuously gave me chills.  It’s creepy, it has jump-scares, it has an interesting plot (unlike most scary movies), and it will surely leave you on the edge of your seat… and then hiding under a blanket once you go to bed.  

3. Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown, the ultimate Disney Channel original Halloween movie.  Marnie is the ultimate relatable character; she’s just a typical teenage girl who has to deal with teenage woes on her birthday, like finding out her and her whole family are witches and attempting to save an entire town.  This movie is just a nice, light-hearted classic with a touch of spookiness that is perfect for a chill night in with your friends (or yourself) and a bag of Halloween candy.

4. Monster House (2006)

The scariest of all the animation scary movies.  As a ten year old (yes, I did wait a few years to watch this), this was the most terrifying movie I had ever seen.  Even now, while it is not completely terrifying, it is still creepy and one of my favorite Halloween movies because it’s a fun alternative if you are not in the mood to get into an intense scary movie, but still want to be thoroughly creeped out.

5. Twitches (2005)

The Parent Trap, but the spooky version; this movie may not be classified as a “classic,” but the Disney Channel original movie is a fun film to watch with your friends while you eat a whole box of Pillsbury Halloween cookies.  The endearing plot of long lost twins finding each other through magical amulets and their brave journey of saving their kingdom will have you wishing you had your own Twitch(es) Too.

Graduated (May '22) Neuroscience & Behavior student at the University of New Hampshire. Happy reading! HCXO
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!