5 Female Celebrities Turned Successful Business Owners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We love them for their talents on-screen and on-stage, but these five women are capable of so much more behind the scenes of their own brands. Each of these female celebrities has established considerable success and recognition for their entrepreneurial ventures in addition to the careers that made them famous in the first place. From products, to lifestyle brands, to fashion and food, these women are talented in more ways than one.

1.    Jessica Alba

In addition to starring in an extensive list of movies and television, add billion-dollar company founder to Jessica Alba’s resume. Her latest focus, The Honest Company, founded in 2011, sells non-toxic household items now sold in 5 major retailers as well as an online shop. Alba’s idea for The Honest Company began with wanting safe products for her two babies, but has grown to making and creating an extensive line of household items, all chemical free and eco-friendly. When Alba was unable to find the products she wanted for her own family, she created them.

2.   Blake Lively

With the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Gossip Girl behind her, Lively moved to her next venture, lifestyle website Preserve. Launched this past summer, Preserve offers recipes, shops celebrating American artisans and their homemade products, lookbooks, and blog posts written by Blake. Lively cites her Southern roots as inspiration for Preserve, hoping to include everything she loves about life into her own small corner on the web. The website also includes posts on wellness, style, celebrations, and taste, in addition to her own musings. Preserve also has its own Instagram account, updated daily with beautifully curated images.

3.   Gwen Stefani

Gwen Stefani can still be found rocking out on-stage these days, but also cites fashion of one of her major loves. Her fashion line, L.A.M.B. has been going strong since it originated in 2003, selling clothing, accessories, shoes, and fragrances. L.A.M.B., a million-dollar enterprise, is one of the most successful celebrity fashion lines to date. Influenced by Stefani’s love for Indian, Guatemalan, Japanese, and Jamaican cultures, she chose the name as an acronym describing her solo album, titled, Love. Angel. Music. Baby. In addition to the success of L.A.M.B. Stefani launched another fashion company under the name Harajuku Lovers. Combined, these lines are sold in over 275 retail stores and continue to show up on the pages of popular magazines and websites.

4.   Jessica Biel

Most famous for her 11-year stint on ABC Family’s 7th Heaven and being Mrs. Justin Timberlake, Jessica Biel has made her grand entrance into the food industry. Set to open later this year, Biel’s family-friendly restaurant Au Fudge is making waves in the press already.  A menu filled with kid-friendly food and a kid-friendly atmosphere will ensure success come the summertime. Currently, Au Fudge maintains its own Instagram profile, posting photos of food, fun quotes, and restaurant progress before its opening. With the motto, “Save Room For Desert” it’s a no-brainer that Biel’s restaurant will be a sensation.

5.    Gwyneth Paltrow

Paltrow has been a successful businesswoman for years in addition to her acting, endorsements, and being one of Beyoncé’s best friends. GOOP, launched in 2007 is not only a successful lifestyle website, but a weekly newsletter encouraging readers to cultivate and foster life. Paltrow has also written a cookbook in conjunction with the site, titled, It’s All Good. The unforgettable and unusual name is derived from her initials, and since its launch, GOOP has turned into its own brand from a small start in Paltrow’s kitchen. The newsletter focuses on and addresses a series of categories including, Make, Go, Get, Do, Be, and See, and serves as a creative resource and outlet.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!