5 Classic Movies to get into the Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Christmas is only a few weeks away and with finals and the ending of the semester it can be hard to get into the Christmas spirit. Here are some of my top favorite Christmas movies to get into the Christmas spirit!

1. Elf

Elf is one of my favorite Christmas movies. Some may say it is overrated but this is a movie I have to watch every Christmas season. The movie is about a human named Buddy who grew up at the North Pole and was raised by elves but never picked up on the fact that he was a human until he overheard a few elves talking about it. Once finding out this information, he goes on a quest to find his father in New York City. Throughout the movie, it is evident that he does a lot of things that are not normal such as putting maple syrup on spaghetti, eating gum off the streets, and spraying perfume in his mouth. So many of the scenes of this movie even after watching it every year still crack me up. 

1. Christmas Vacation 

Christmas Vacation is also a movie that I watch every year with my family usually on Christmas night. Christmas Vacation is about the Griswold family and them preparing for Christmas but some of their extended family shows up invited and uninvited which leads to chaos, laughs and happiness. This movie is absolutely hysterical and if you’re looking for a laugh this is a good one. 

1.  The Grinch

The Grinch is based on Dr. Suess’s book the Grinch and there are three different versions. I prefer the animated 2018 one or the Jim Carrey 2001 version. The Grinch was never one of my absolute favorites growing up but I enjoy it a lot now.  This movie is about an individual who despises Christmas and ends up stealing Christmas because he dislikes Christmas so much. The ending of the movie always makes me so happy when he realizes maybe Christmas is not so bad.  

1. Home Alone 

Home Alone is a classic movie about a boy who is left at home by accident while his family goes to Paris. He keeps himself occupied and they always make me laugh. Overall, this is just a classic movie I think everyone should watch it. 

1. Frosty the Snowman 

Not gonna lie this movie just gives me all of the nostalgic feelings. I think since I watched it so much as a kid it just reminds me of my childhood and that is why I love it so much. This cartoon movie is about a snowman that was created one day and he tries to get back to the North Pole before he melts or else he will be gone forever. This movie is just such a classic and if you have never seen it, you should!

Hi I'm Julia Ignazio and I live in Massachusetts! I'm currently a freshman at UNH studying psychology.