This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As my 19th birthday approaches I’ve been reflecting on some of the things that I have learned so far.  I know it’s only been 19 years and I still have a whole lot of living and learning to do but I definitley have learned a few things along the way that will hopefully be helpful to you all! 

1.    “Never dim anyone else’s light so that you can shine. Just shine.” – Unknown

2.    Don’t sell yourself short –  Don’t dumb yourself down or lessen yourself to fit with others. I know you are amazing at something out there and you do too- so own it.

3.     Take a yoga class – I swear by this. The benefits are endless and I promise if you are having a tough week make time for this one thing and you will feel infinitely better. 

4.    Give it your best shot – My dad has always reminded me of this when I will get down on myself for not doing “good enough”. He has always accepted me even if I didn’t win or get the best grade. But he always emphasized to me how important giving your 100% is.

5.       Everything happens for a reason  – I have always been a skeptic of this cliché. But in this past year I am really grateful some things didn’t go the way I thought I had wanted them to before.

6.     Trust yourself and your feelings – Go with your gut. If something doesn’t feel right trust that feeling its there for a reason.

7.    No one else knows your experiences  – Someone could have almost an identical journey to yours but the only difference being, they are not you. No one has or ever will be you, so do whatever you think will work for you, not just because someone else took that path.

8.    Give it 3 days  –  In high school when a secret or scandal would come out it often felt like the end of the world. Give it three days and I promise people will have forgotten all about it. 

9.     Appreciate people who are always there – By this I mean your parents and grandparents, those people who do all those small things for you, like call to just check in, send you cards to brighten your week, or let you complain to them for hours and still love you just the same.

10.     If you want to be happy. Be.  – This notion has taken me a very long time to fully grasp but it really is that simple. Only you can make changes in your life so if you want something just do it.

11.    Surround yourself with only positivity – Don’t make time for those people who are constantly bringing a rain cloud with them. No matter how hard you try to stay positive, if you surround yourself with negative vibes it will eventually rub off.

12.     Practice what you preach  –The worst thing in the world is someone who talks a lot of game and never acts on it. Please don’t be that person.

13.     Be honest with your feelings.  –Don’t lie to yourself or others. The most respectful thing you can do for yourself and others around you is to be honest. If something is on your mind get it out in the open and talk about it.

14.     Always eat a good breakfast.  – Honestly who doesn’t love breakfast food anyways? (Bacon egg and cheese’s have my <3) but it really is the most important meal of the day. If you skip it you run the risk of being hangry to anyone you encounter.

15.    People will have opinions – Not everyone has had the same life experiences as you, therefore they won’t have the same opinions as you. That’s okay. Not everyone is going to like you and your opinions anyways.

16.     Heartbreak happens – This is inevitable and probably the toughest lesson of all to learn but it will only make you stronger and better the next time around. Give this one time, eventually the wound will heal and you will move on. I promise. 

17.    Don’t make space for those who don’t want a spot – This is a tough one to learn as well but it’s necessary. Those who want to be in your life will make a conscious effort. If someone isn’t showing you that- trust it and don’t wait around.

18.    See the bright side – This is a recent one but very helpful. When talking with others try to make a conscious effort to see the positive side to things. So instead of complaining about that long walk to class be happy you are able to walk outside for that time and enjoy it.  You’ll quickly see how your mood improves with this simple thing. 

19.   BE SILLY — My biggest lesson and advice is don’t take yourself too seriously. We will all be old soon enough so take advantage of the time you have. Dance around your room with your friends, talk in silly voices, play funny games in the car- Just make your own good time no matter where you are. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!