This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

When making the decision to study at UNH, there is plenty of aspects to draw anybody in. Compared to other schools, big or small, UNH has a lot to offer. Whether you’ve realized it from transferring, visiting other schools, or graduating, there’s plenty of things that we take for granted at UNH. 

No Guest Check in 

This is a rare gem-most schools enforce a guest check in policy with a valid ID. On top of this, some have a guest check in limit, such as allowing only two guests per student. Some schools even hold onto your ID while your visitor is in your building. Every student at UNH can have visitors no problem at any hour. Sign in sheets should be left in middle school.

Durham House of Pizza

Better known as Dhop and is known for its delicious pizza. Dhop is open every day of the week and Thursday-Saturday is open until 2 am. No weekend night is complete without a stop at Dhop, where you are bound to run into at least someone you know. 

The Scenery

UNH has a beautiful New England style campus. It’s red brick buildings look good in any season. Getting to watch the leaves change colors as fall rolls around is something that southern schools miss out on. Did you really go to UNH if you don’t have a picture of T-Hall on your instagram?

The Food

Overall, UNH has award winning dining services. It is widely known how great the dining hall food is. You can’t truly appreciate the UNH dining halls until you’ve tried somewhere else. How many other schools can say they have a stir fry bar that can turn into a quesadilla or shrimp scampi bar? On top of the three dining halls, we’ve also been blessed with Wild Kitty, Pita Pit and Union Court. No sunday morning is complete without the Philly egg bar.

The Train

No car- no problem. The Amtrak train is right on campus. For an inexpensive price you can travel North or South. A trip into Boston can be just a short hour long ride away. The train runs all day at different times ranging from 6 in the morning to 11:30 at night. This is also an easy way to get home and save gas if the train travels to your area.

The Sports Teams

UNH has outstanding division I sports teams including football, hockey and basketball. The teams only improve every year and this is just another thing to be proud of at UNH. There’s nothing like watching the Wildcats beat the UMaine Black Bears.

Homecoming

Off the topic of sports, homecoming is like Christmas for the Wildcats. It’s an all day affair from the tailgate to the actual game. This in October gives everyone a chance to show their school spirit and support the football team.

The Coffee Options

If you’re a coffee fan UNH is the perfect school for you. It has various coffee options such as the different cafe’s around campus and a Dunkin’ Donuts in the MUB. If you take a quick trip downtown there are also the famous Aroma Joes, Higher New Grounds and The Works. No matter what your coffee preference is, you’re bound to find something you like.

UNH Advising/Career Services

This aspect of UNH is very taken for granted. Feel lost in school? Easily set up an appointment with your adviser who was assigned to you through your major. Every year UNH Career Center hosts 2 career and internship fairs which brings over 130 companies. You can easily see what career opportunity events are coming up by looking online, such as different workshops and course registration.

The Location

You never feel stuck while on campus. Not only is downtown a short walk away, but the bus system runs all over the place. You can get to get to Portsmouth, Dover or the Fox Run Mall for free by just hopping on a bus. All of the surrounding towns of Durham are easily accessible and have everything you might need so you never feel isolated.

The Weekend Scene

No matter what you prefer to do on your weekends there is something for you here. If you like to go out there is bars/ restaurants down town that are easy to walk to no matter where you live. On campus there is never dead on a weekend and there is many different options of things to do. If you’d rather go off campus you can catch a bus to see a movie or spend the night in Portsmouth.

Housing

There is plenty of housing options at UNH and unlike a lot of schools, there is room for you to live on campus all four years! You can chose from big or small dorms, apartments like the Gables or try a suite style in the Mills. As an incoming freshman you have the option to live in all freshman’s dorms which gives you a chance to meet people in the same boat as you.

Wednesdays at the MUB

If you pay the MUB a visit on a Wednesday there is bound to be something going on. There is occasional live preformances and free items. In the past there has been a photobooth, personalized mugs and make-your-own street sign. Who doesn’t love free stuff?

U-Day
At the begining of every school year, U-day takes place. All of the clubs and activies get together and have a chance to set up a booth. This event lasts a few hours and gives students a chance to check out what’s going on around campus and sign up for anything that they may be interested in. On top of this a cook out is going on with plenty of hot dogs, hamburgers and fresh fruit.

Work Studies
Here at UNH there is plenty of student job opportunites or work studies that are run by the school from fire safety to a dining hall worker. These are easy to fit into your schedule and easy to get to -they’re right here on campus! On top of this you get no taxes taken out of your paycheck. 

Being able to study at UNH is a real privledge and stands out from other universities. It’s important to make the most out of your years here with everything it has to offer.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!