Untitled design 2019 04 07T140447799png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Untitled design 2019 04 07T140447799png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo via @beyonce

12 Short Quotes from 12 Influential Women to Remind You Who You Are

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

2020 has been a rough year. For most of us, most of what we looked forward to was canceled, from birthday parties to tailgates to holiday celebrations even to our classes. Many of us are struggling and might even feel powerless to COVID-19 right now. We feel out of control and we are searching for the motivation (especially as the cold weather approaches) to keep pushing through by finding the little things to make ourselves happy. Growing up as a girl with the world the way it is is hard enough, beyond a pandemic. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves how to love ourselves and to be happy. 

Here are 12 short quotes that you can say to yourself when the world feels like it’s ending and you need to take your power back: 

“Have no fear of perfection; you’ll never reach it.” 

― Marie Curie

This is true. We often put ourselves on a pedestal. We will never be our ideal image and we will only hurt ourselves trying to obtain it. Love what you consider an “imperfection” because it’s beautifully unique to you. 

“The most alluring thing a woman can have is confidence.”

― Beyoncé Knowles

I think the only accessory Beyoncé truly needs is her confidence. She could wear anything on stage or sing anything on stage and it wouldn’t matter because her confidence in who she is and what she does is what makes her so captivating. 

“When they go low, we go high.”

― Michelle Obama

My favorite quote. It’s very easy for us to fall into the pattern of trying to match the mistreatment or the hate we receive from others. Challenging yourself to look the other way will help guide you to decisions that you are more comfortable making and ones that you won’t look back on and regret. 

“I decided I can’t pay a person to rewind time, so I may as well get over it.”

― Serena Williams

We often find ourselves dwelling on what could have been. Especially with this pandemic, it’s hard for us to not think about how many opportunities and adventures we missed during 2020. This can be a vicious thinking cycle. It’s important to live in the present and dream for the future because the past will never change. 

“Happy girls are the prettiest.”

― Audrey Hepburn

They say happy people attract positive energy and positive people. Being happy attracts a beautiful life and makes you a beautiful person. 

“Oftentimes, the most righteous thing you can do is shake the table.”

― Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC never misses an opportunity to speak up for what she believes in no matter what the controversy may be. Your voice is the most important whether you are using it to protect yourself or protect others. 

“Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.”

― Gloria Steinham 

Dismissing something that you long for even when it seems unrealistic will only push away fulfillment. Take your free time to start planning, creating, and achieving what you never had the time to do before. 

“Turn your wounds into wisdom.”

― Oprah Winfrey

It is easy for us to get caught up in negativity and the hurt we experienced in the past. Take this time to reflect, learn, and grow. Don’t let all this free time lead to dwelling. Instead, take this time to understand what you learned from this experience. 

“People gonna talk whether you doing good or bad.” 

― Rihanna

Rihanna could never be wrong. Don’t listen to what other people are saying. Right now, it constantly feels like everyone has something to say about what you do. “Cancel culture” has honestly become a scary phenomenon. You have to do what makes you happy no matter what other people say about it. 

“I don’t need someone else’s power. I’m obtaining my own.”

― Megan Fox

Ms. Fox herself does not let men or society tell her how to look, act, or which roles to take. She looks for opportunities to accomplish on her own, and wants to find success without it being handed to her. 

“Don’t feel stupid if you don’t like what everyone else pretends to love.”

― Emma Watson 

This is one of my favorite quotes. Sometimes when everyone else seems to love something, it’s all over the internet. It can be hard to re-watch the same thing or person over and over again, especially when your friends are doing it. Be true to yourself and guide your attention to what you love to do. 

“Be brave and fearless to know that even if you do make a wrong decision, you’re making it for a good reason.”

― Adele

Adele has experienced a lot through motherhood, health, relationships, and the media’s criticism. She has to make a lot of choices publicly, and even if her choices were not the best for her or someone else, she understands that she can still grow from them. Every choice will either lead to something good or a new lesson to be learned.

Jen is a junior nursing student at UNH from Lynnfield, MA. She currently works as a nurse's aide in Boston, and is a member of Alpha Xi Delta.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!