This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Almost everybody experiences that mid-winter lull trying to shake winter blues. The weather’s gross, it’s cold out, it gets darker way earlier than it should, and more often than not, that adds up to an overall gloomy feeling. Don’t worry though, you can easily snap out of that dull, blah mood! Check out these 12 simple and fun tricks to help get you feeling better than ever!

1. Listen to your favorite summer throwbacks

Nothing’s better than your favorite song to turn your mood around, especially if it’s one that reminds you of those care free, warm summer days. Whether you’re a country fan or need a little reggae to get you feeling like you’re lying on the beach it’s definitely a quick and easy way to cheer you up!

2. Pamper Yourself

A much deserved day at the spa is one thing that everyone knows will make a girl feel fabulous and rejuvenated. Go to your favorite spa and get a full body massage or facial to help make your body feel good as new. Even try some highlights or a new hair color to mix things up a bit. Also, a bright, fun nail color is sure to do the trick! 

3. Plan a spring break getaway

Spring break is right around the corner and known for being the perfect time to travel to one of those sought after tropical islands. It doesn’t have to be extravagant or break your bank account, but it will help you survive the winter by giving you something fun to look forward to.

4. Cook up your favorite summertime foods

Whether it’s chicken kabobs with pineapple pieces or fresh cut watermelon and a margarita, cook up your favorite summertime food to give you a little taste of summer! Indulge in those comforting foods that bring back those summer memories while kicking away your gloom.

5. Try a Vitamin D supplement

The lack of sun in the winter can have a serious affect on your body. The sun provides us with tons of vitamin D during the long sunny summer days that we simply do not get during the winter. Try taking a Vitamin D supplement with its mood-enhancing benefits to replenish your body’s need throughout the winter. (Always consult primary care physician before taking any supplemental medicine)

6. Get fit

The gym is the perfect place to get your sweat on and relieve some stress. Your body naturally releases endorphins when you exercise, which are what gives you that great feeling after a solid workout. So not only will you be making yourself feel better but you’ll also be making yourself look better for when those summer months roll around!

7. Plan a weekend adventure

Grab some friends and plan a mini vaca. Whether it’s a road trip or a few nights spent in a big city it will definitely help distract you from your winter blues. Hanging out with friends and exploring a new place is exactly what you need for a weekend fun and good laughs.

8. Brighten up your wardrobe

Winter is the most common time to get stuck in the rut of constantly wearing black, brown and other dark colors (I know I definitely do). Don’t get me wrong, black is perfect for wearing in the winter but spice up your outfit with a brightly colored shirt or scarf to take away from that dark, wintery look you constantly find yourself wearing.

9. Take on a new hobby

This is the perfect time to try something new. Start that book you’ve always wanted to read or learn that snow sport you never gotten around to. New hobbies will help keep you active and energized.

10. Socialize as much as you can

What sounds better than snuggling in your bed with a good movie to watch when its below freezing outside. During those cold, dreary winter days it’s easy to just want to lie around in bed with your comfiest pair of yoga pants and oversized sweatshirt but that’s not always the best idea. Change it up! Get out of bed and socialize with your friends because a day full of friends and laughter is sure to turn any dull mood around!

11. Splurge a little $$$

Enjoy some much desired retail therapy! We’re girls… Our favorite thing to do is shop so why not do it now during your gloomy feeling days. A few new pieces added to your wardrobe are almost a guarantee to make you feel awesome!

UNH class of 2015
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!