10 Ways to Stay Uplifted During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
  1. Start decorating early. Nothing brings holiday joy like a decorated home! Show off your holiday cheer to your neighbors, it may spark joy in others.
  2. Bake some holiday treats. Sugar cookies and snickerdoodles? Sign me up! Holiday treats create a happy tummy, mind, and attitude. Don’t forget to share!
  3. Play holiday music all throughout the house. Spread holiday joy through singing (and dancing of course). Even having holiday music playing in the background can boost your mood. Michael Bublé and Mariah Carey on repeat!
  4. Watch a holiday movie every night. You won’t have trouble finding a holiday movie playing on TV, because there’s something on almost every channel. If you celebrate Christmas, “25 Days of Christmas” on Freeform has already begun! Start flipping through the channels or reside to Netflix.
  5. Call relatives that you cannot see in person. We all want to see our families during the holidays, but times are different right now. Your family is thinking about you too, so don’t be afraid to reach out and give them a call. Whether it’s a phone call, facetime, or Zoom, they will appreciate your presence.
    Girl blowing snowflakes
    Photo by freestock.org from Pexels
  6. Send thank you cards to healthcare workers. It has been a long, hard 10 months for healthcare workers and they deserve some recognition. Send a few cards to your local hospital to show the doctors and nurses how much they mean to you and your family. Lift up their holiday spirits!
  7. Buy festive pajamas. Nothing screams holiday like a pair of fuzzy pajamas. Snuggle up with some hot chocolate while you’re at it.
  8. Prioritize self-care. Whether you start a new book, detox from social media, or take a bubble bath, don’t forget to relax. The holidays can get busy and stressful, so you deserve all the down time you need.
  9. Donate to organizations who need it the most right now. Although everyone is struggling through these hard times, some are struggling more than others. Do some research and find an organization that means something to you! Give back to your community.
  10. Buy all of your holiday gifts by shopping local. Small business are struggling during these times, so try your best to purchase gifts from them. Spread the word to your friends and family as well whether it be through word of mouth or online!
    Kelly Sikkema via Unsplash
I am a Nutrition Major with a focus in Dietetics. I hope to become a successful dietitian one day as I want to help others. I play hockey and used to play soccer, but I love both sports. I love to cook and bake on my free time and I am a vegetarian! I enjoy weight training at the gym, but I always appreciate my lazy days.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!