Life > Experiences

10 Ways to Make Long Distance Friendships More Maintainable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As many of us are aware, being in college is something that is entirely time-consuming in all ways possible. Students have full or part-time classes, on-campus friends, some have jobs and/or internships, social obligations, coffee dates, etc. At times, it can be so easy to get wound up in what’s happening in our immediate vicinity that you may find yourself slacking on other off-campus relationships. 

One thing we can probably all agree on is that it’s very important to make time for the people that matter most to you, no matter how far away they are from you on a daily basis. So, I have decided to make a list of a few easy things that can make long-distance friendships and/or relationships more fun and maintainable. 

1. Zoom Netflix dates – share your screen!

Notting Hill gif
Giphy
2. Meet halfway for meals (if you’re not too many hours away).

Nick Miller New Girl GIF Dinner
GIPHY / 20th Century Fox Television
3. Send letters back and forth via mail.

gif of Jimmy Fallon saying "you're my best friend and I mean that"
Jimmy Fallon via GIPHY
4. Set a date and time each week to FaceTime.

Cardi B facetime
Giphy
5. Let them know you’re thinking of them (via text) on a regular basis.

Joey How You Doin
Giphy
6. Make lists of important things happening in your lives on a weekly basis to share with them.

Meryl Streep Yes Gif
Giphy
7. Tag them in memes/videos that remind you of them.

Christian Bale
Giphy
8. Make your friends a playlist on Spotify or Apple music.

Jonas Brothers
Giphy
9. Coordinate reading books together, maybe make an online book-club with your friend group.

Friends Excited
Giphy
10. Send gift cards, care baskets, Edible Arrangements – let them know they matter.

Micheal Scott Christmas gif
Giphy

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!