10 Transformations in Millennial Music to be Happy About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Think about your favorite singers/bands. Have you ever compared their first song or album to their most recent material? Their sound, emotions, and lyrics truly come alive as you watch them evolve in our history as millennial music lovers! Here are a few artists that have graced our playlists in the utmost fashion!

Adele: (“Chasing Pavements” →  “Hello”)

The first ballad to emerge from the soulful singer was “Chasing Pavements” on her album ‘19’. She caught our attention with her gripping lyrics along with her gracious and powerful voice. Since her debut, she has written about love, losing it and finding it again, demonstrating with her most recent hit, “Hello”. Once you hear the beginning beats, you can’t help but scream to the sky with her.

(Bri’s favs tracks and ones you need to revisit: “Water Under the Bridge”, “Take it All”)

Beyonce: (“Crazy in Love” → “Single Ladies” →  “Sorry”)

Praise the women for their impact in the music industry! Yeah, tell them ‘boy bye’.  B emerged from Destiny’s Child before going solo with a complete jam, “Crazy In Love”, with Jay-Z to add to the vibe. Since then, she’s performed songs about empowering women and embracing our style and grace, with beats that make you want to move! Go from this to “Single Ladies” and “Drunk In Love”, and you land on ‘Lemonade’, with more dance-inspired beats and other mellow mingles, like “Sorry”.

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “7/11”, “Sorry”, “Freedom”)

Coldplay: (“Yellow → “Paradise” → “Hymn of the Weekend”)

As one of my favorite bands, they have my whole heart. “Yellow”,off of “Parachutes”, is a simple display with a powerful message that tugs on your heart strings with its melody. From there, they included powerful drums and guitar solos that keep you engaged from beginning to end. Now, “Hymn of the Weekend” gets you off on your feet and ready for what endeavors may follow, along with sweet chimes of Queen B.

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “Yellow”, “True Love”, “Charlie Brown”, “Army of One”)

Drake: (“Fancy” →  “One Dance”)

“Thank Me Later”, no Drake, we’ll thank you forever! Thanks for making a hit on each of your albums greater and more contagious than the one before. With ‘Thank Me Later’, he stepped onto the scene with “Fancy”, a song that get’s to everyone as an anthem for self-love. With so many collabs of different rappers and singers, as well as brilliant album creations, he’s continued to set the bar. On “Views”, he’s created many beats to vibe and bump to. He’s great, much love to him.  

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “Miss Me”, ““Jumpman”, “Faithful” “Summer Sixteen”, “Child’s Play”)

John Mayer: (“No Such Thing” →  “Love on the Weekend”)

With a few chords from his guitar, JM graces his presence with songs about society and love. “No Such Thing” would be on as you’re crusin in your car, just living life, hearing his lessons from the real world. From there, he created soft hymns and songs that make us dream. His most recent single, “Love on the Weekend” is fresh and sweet, just another reason why we have loved his music since we heard “Gravity”!

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room”, “Atmosphere”, Stop This Train”, “Bold as Love”)

Justin Bieber: (“Baby” →  “Love Yourself”)

Do we all remember the purple hoodie, haircut, and boyish charm? We watched JB’s music evolve from bubbly,catchy hits to awesome anthems for finding love or showing your ex you’re better off! His latest album includes great lyrics and infectious beats! 

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “Somebody to Love”, “Confident”, “Get Used to it”, No Pressure”)

Justin Timberlake: (“Cry Me A River” and “Rock your Body” → “SexyBack” → “Take Back the Night” and “Can’t Stop the Feeling”)

From N*SYNC and later a solo ride, JT has soured through the music industry! We’ve grown up with him as he won our hearts in the world when boy bands dominated the radio. Since then, he’s created classics and jams to get you on your feet headed straight for the dance floor! There isn’t anything he can’t do!

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “LoveStoned”, “Summer Love”, “Let the Groove Get in”)

Maroon 5: (“She Will be Loved” → “Don’t Wanna Know”)

Everyone is familiar with “She Will be Loved”, as it makes us swoon over our future man, but there is also “Makes Me Wonder”, for a powerful anthem if you need to forget about him! This famous group has been with us for a while, creating contagious anthems and allowing us to be a part of their emotion! Their input of drums and guitar as well as Adam Levin’s lyrics make us fall in love with them each time!

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “Harder to Breathe”, Won’t Go Home Without You”, “If I Never See Your Face Again”)

Rihanna: (Pon de Replay →  RudeBoy →  Work)

Remember dancing to “Disturbia” at your middle school dances?? Yeah, same! Her first hits, “Pon de Replay” and “Umbrella” got us talking about her and loving her music! The power comes with every lyric she sings, demanding our attention! Since then, she’s collabed with rappers and other bands and eventually made her mark as the good girl gone bad. Yess Ri, keep the jams coming.

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “”SOS”, “You the One”, “Rude Boy”, “Desperado”)

The Weeknd: (“Wicked Games” → “Starboy”)

He’s chimed in on songs from many different artists, but he’s truly made his mark now! Think of the newest arrival of ‘Starboy’: how incredible that he’s come so far and it so talented?! As soon as we hear his voice beam through the speakers, we’re instantly hooked! His elctro-beats and excellent lyrics get us movin!

(Bri’s favs and ones you need to revisit: “In The Night”, “Real Life”, “Sidewalks”, “True Colors’)

Hi I'm Bri! I'm an English major with a minor in Communication from CT. I've been a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter since October 2016. For the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year, I was promoted to Senior Editor. The women at HC-UNH are truly amazing, displaying strength and emotion in their writing. I love being a part of the team, and reading many perspectives on music, academics, life, and relationships. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!