10 Awkward Things That Happen on the First Day of School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The first day of classes in college is very different from how it was back in elementary, middle, and even high school. In my experience, they actually get more and more awkward as the years go by. In college there are familiar faces, but often times you don’t actually know the other students in your class on a personal level. Especially when you go to a school similar in size to UNH. The first day of classes in college means one thing: summer is over. And this notorious day leaves students expecting the worst but hoping for the best…here is a list of 10 awkward things that happen on the first day of school (college edition):

1.) Accidentally arriving 10 minutes early

Okay, so this isn’t the most awkward thing that can happen on the first day but 10 minutes is a long time when you’re sitting at a desk anxiously waiting to see who is next to walk in… it’s also the last time you’ll be that early for class.

2.) Your first impression being a hot, sweaty mess

So you accidentally sprint-walked to class 10 minutes early and as you wait for students to fill up the room you begin to feel your face turning beat red, and the first drop of sweat falls from your upper lip. That was definitely the most exercise you’ve gotten all summer.

3.) Claiming your territory

Unless your professor assigns seats, which I really hope they don’t, this day is designated to marking your spot for the rest of the semester. Pressure’s on, so you better choose wisely!

4.) Trying to discretely screen the room for familiar faces

Once everyone has arrived it’s only necessary to size up the room. You know what I’m talking about. Pretending to use the chair to crack your back while keeping a keen eye out for someone you might recognize. *hint* you aren’t fooling anyone.

5.) When the professor doesn’t add up to the picture you’ve created in your mind

Rate my professor is a gift from above that assures you will not be stuck with the WPOAT (worst professor of all time). The reviews are always biased depending on who failed the class and who got A’s, but we trust them anyways. And thanks to that logic, they’re almost never who you expected…

6.) Icebreakers

This is the one and only time I am thankful that my two front teeth got knocked out my senior year of high school. There is seriously nothing funnier than watching the sweat form on a college student’s forehead when asked to conjure up ONE thing that is remotely interesting about themselves. Have a little faith in yourselves, people!

7.) The look of fear your peers and yourself express when the professor says the two most dreaded words in the imaginary college dictionary: “group project”

It’s even worse when it’s plural. Nothing against my peers but let’s be honest for a second, I don’t know any of you well enough to trust that you’ll pull your weight for an assignment worth 20% of my grade.

8.) Taking the whole class to decide whether or not you should drop the class

For the past 80 minutes as your professor reads aloud to you the syllabus you’re deliberating whether or not this is going to be a waste of your time. A pros and cons list is usually the way to decide accurately. And yes, group projects is at the top of the cons list.

9.) When you realize that “boy,” from that one weekend last semester, is sitting across the room

Because even in a school of 14,000 undergraduates, you can count on ending up in the same, random, general education course as the one person you were hoping would evaporate into thin air.

10.) Knowing you have to do it all over again the next day

As if one isn’t painful enough. College, where every semester there are two first days of school to get through!

Wishing you all the best school year, and always remember it’s what you make of it!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!