This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

Move-in day as a freshman is already a stressful event to think about. But, now that you have successfully moved in to the place you will call “home” for the next few months, it’s time to meet and get to know your roomie. This can be a tricky thing to balance between classes and clubs, but it is absolutely vital! After all, you’ll be seeing each other practically everyday until the semester is up.

So, here are some tips on how to NOT drive each other crazy!

DO

…get to know each other! Find out your likes, favs, and especially pet peeves . Getting to know who you are living with, is a great way to figure out how this person is. You don’t have to become BFFs, but bonding over each other’s likes is a first step. Plus, it keeps you from feeling like you’re living with a stranger.

DON’T

…expect Day One to be the same as Day Two. As time goes on, both you and your roomie will become more comfortable being themselves.  Usually after that day, after that day is over the real “her” comes out.While this can be  great thing for some, don’t take it personal if she isn’t as bubbly towards the end of the semester as she was move-in day. Remember that some personalities mesh, and some clash, but do your best to always stay cordial, and not live in tension. 

DO

…find out your roommate’s schedule. Knowing when your roommate will be out of the room or their whereabouts will keep from having guest conflicts. Let your roommate know when you have company and if you want some alone time. Always try to be considerate.

DON’T

… just invite whoever you want to your room and not let your roommate know. That is disrespectful and rude. You do not know what your roommate will be doing. She could be studying and wanting some peace and quiet but your guests and trying to throw a party on your side of the room and it’s distracting your roommate.

DO

…spend some time with your roommate. At least, invite her to campus events or when you are about to hang out with you friends. Again, you don’t have to be BFF’s but being friendly and able to  hangout outside of your bedroom, shows you actually care about her presence.

DON’T

…leave your roommate hanging if you know she doesn’t have plans for the weekend and you do. Invite her out! If she doesn’t accept the invite, that is totally fine.

Finally,

be human beings to each other. Use your best judgment in order to shore your roommate respect, and to become friends! You might not take these tips to heart but this is just the basics you need to know to have a great freshman year with your roommate. It keeps both of you sane and able to enjoy each others’ company.

My name is Techeira Francis and I am a Junior at the University of North Florida. I am a Criminal Justice major with a minor in Psychology. I am planning on having a career with the federal government working for Homeland Security. My interests include mystery murder books, caramel macchiatos, all criminal case shows (and I mean ALL), telling myself to go to the gym, and tea.
My name is Maya Dartiguenave, and I am a senior at the University of North Florida. I'm a communications major, with a focus in public relations. Reading, writing, anything to do with words is what holds my true interest, which is why I'm so happy to be a part of Her Campus! I'm so excited to have started UNF's chapter of Her Campus!While I claim to be a Florida girl for now, my heart belongs to Philadelphia, always. (Go, Eagles!) I hope to move away from Florida after graduation, work my way through grad school, and begin my career in publishing. The future is definitely going to be an adventure, and I can't wait for it!