courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dealing With Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

College is only the first of many times where you will become separated from people in your life that you love. Maybe it’s only a two hour drive that distances you from your parents. Maybe it’s a two hour flight. Either way, parting from your loved ones is never easy to do, and is even harder to deal with. So, here are some ways to stay connected with those back home until you can plan your next visit. 

For Your Family

Leaving your parents and siblings can be one of the toughest parts about going away to college. Now that the separation has been settled, homesickness may be kicking into overdrive, but there’s still things to do to make the transition a little easier for you and your back home.

• Send them a care package. 

Weird, right? When you think about it though, it’s actually not so much! Your family will love getting a care package just as much as you would. Now, obvi you wouldn’t include most of the things that they would send to you (peanut butter, extra towels — you get it). Think along the lines of an “Osprey Mom” tee, or a dad mug and tie for your dad. Basically, anything that would let them know you’re thinking about them while you’re all apart. 

• Write a letter — include a picture! 

Sending a letter to the fam is basically going in the same direction as a care package, but this is something a bit more heart felt. Let them know how you’re adjusting to your new campus, what you’ve been up to, how your classes are going. And stick a picture (or a few) in there! It could be of you and your roomies, or your sorority sisters. Yeah, your family could see all of this on Facebook, but how nice would it be for them to be able to add to the family scrapbook, or to frame? Honestly, when it comes to family, just letting them know you’re okay will make them okay.

For Your Friends

Friendships start to strain once BFFs are no longer together. But, for the friendships that you refuse to say goodbye to, there are ways to make sure you and your girls stay close even when you’re far apart. 

• Meet in the middle.

If you’re lucky enough to have only a few hours parting you and your girls, then you all can meet somewhere in the middle! Pick a long weekend where homework isn’t as heavy, map out where you all are, and find a middle point. (You can us websites like GeoMidpoint!) Look up stuff to do in that area and GO. It’ll be a nice way to make sure everyone puts in the same amount of effort, plus you can explore a new part of your state while catching up on everything that you’ve missed. 

• Plan TV dates!

Some of us aren’t so lucky to have our besties go to school close by once high school is over. Still, that doesn’t mean you can’t catch #TGIT together! On the nights when your favorite TV shows are on, make sure you can watch it together. (Or, wait until it can be viewed online). If you can, hop onto Skype and have your bestie there next to you as you find watch Olive Pope fix D.C’s next biggest scandal. The comments and reactions will flow just the same as if you were in the room together. It won’t be just like the TV nights you’re used to, but it will be something! 

For Your Other Half

Long-distance relationships (LDRs) are never easy, college or no. Being away from your S.O. won’t get any easier, but there are still ways to keep your bond tight.

• Do things together.

It won’t be as easy or feel just the same, but there are still ways you and your S.O. can hang out without actually hanging out. You can bite off the best friend movie date idea, and go in for a hilarious Netflix movie. Or, if you’re both into fitness, train together. Set a goal to do the next big 5K in your area, and go running at the same time. It’ll be nice to know that somewhere, miles away. your S.O. is doing the same. Basically, find something that you both are interested in, and… adjust 

• Find different ways to stay connected. 

Not everything has to fall on social media, Skype or text messaging. Even though your S.O. may be far away, you can still put forth effort to do something nice for them. Put together a Spotify or 8tracks playlist that they can listen to throughout the day. (Or you can send them the link to the one above! Maybe you are passing by the old high school where you and your boo met. Maybe you see something on campus that reminds you of them. Or, maybe you just see something that you think would make them smile. Send them a snap or a quick pic just to show they are still on your mind. Communication isn’t always as consistent when it come to LDRs, so just let your S.O. know that even when you aren’t talking, you’re still thinking about them. 

The saying goes, “distance makes the heart grow fonder.” Yeah, that’s all well and good, but in the meantime, it can be a bit of a pain. Even though you may not be right there next to the people you love once you have left for college doesn’t mean you have to lose them! Keep that communication strong and go the extra mile to remind your loves that they are still close to your heart. 

Photo Credit: 

• Rep Image
  • All other photos are credited by click-through links. 
My name is Maya Dartiguenave, and I am a senior at the University of North Florida. I'm a communications major, with a focus in public relations. Reading, writing, anything to do with words is what holds my true interest, which is why I'm so happy to be a part of Her Campus! I'm so excited to have started UNF's chapter of Her Campus!While I claim to be a Florida girl for now, my heart belongs to Philadelphia, always. (Go, Eagles!) I hope to move away from Florida after graduation, work my way through grad school, and begin my career in publishing. The future is definitely going to be an adventure, and I can't wait for it!