This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month!

Here is a list of movies and TV shows recommendations to help you celebrate! Each of these movies and TV shows has brave, funny, brilliant, and talented women at the forefront. 

“NEW GIRL”

Where to watch it: Netflix, YouTube TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video

Why watch it: Zooey Deschanel is amazing as “New Girl’s” lead, Jess Day. She’s funny, caring, and a die-hard feminist. Jess and Cece are also a great example of female friendship onscreen! Honorable mention to Season 1, Episode 11: “Jess and Julia.” This is a perfect episode for Women’s History Month.

“JANE THE VIRGIN”

Where to watch it: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video

Why watch it: This show, more than anything, is about the relationship between three generations of women. Watching Jane, her mother, and her grandmother go through life as a strong, connected family unit is the most important part of the show. These women are powerful in very different ways, and “Jane The Virgin” is truly a love letter to female-led families.

“DEAD TO ME”

Where to watch it: Netflix

Why watch it: Although this is a comedy led by two hilarious women, “Dead To Me” shows us the different ways in which we deal with grief. Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini are amazing as Jen and Judy, two grieving women who bond during a therapy group. 

“CLUELESS”

Where to watch it: Amazon Prime Video

Why watch it: “As if” I’d write this article without mentioning “Clueless!” Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, and Brittany Murphy star as a trio of high school friends in this Jane Austen adaptation. Incredible fashion choices, iconic dialogue, and a diverse representation of modern femininity.

“HIDDEN FIGURES”

Where to watch it: Disney+, Amazon Prime Video

Why watch it: Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monáe star as three Black female mathematicians working for NASA in the early 1960s. “Hidden Figures” follows Katherine Goble Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson as they combat racism and sexism in order to help NASA during the Space Race. “Hidden Figures” is a powerful movie that aims to educate as well as entertain.

“KNOCK DOWN THE HOUSE”

Where to watch it: Netflix

Why watch it: “Knock Down The House” is a documentary that follows four women– Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Amy Vilela, Cori Bush, and Paula Jean Swearengin –during their campaigns for the 2018 race for Congress.

“TAYLOR TOMLINSON: QUARTER LIFE CRISIS”

Where to watch it: Netflix

Why watch it: I’d be remiss if I didn’t include a comedy special! Taylor Tomlinson’s “Quarter Life Crisis” stand-up special on Netflix is hilarious and absolutely worth a watch. She’s relatable and so, so funny.

“TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE” (SERIES)

Where to watch it: Netflix

Why watch it: Lana Condor shines as Lara Jean Song Covey in the “To All The Boys” series. These movies are all about love, whether it’s between romantic partners, friends, or family. I totally love romantic comedies, but I’m recommending this for Women’s History Month due to Lara Jean’s relationships with her female friends and family members as they raise each other up and learn more about themselves over the course of the trilogy.

Happy Women’s History Month– and happy watching! :)

Maddy Tamms is a member of the UNCW class of 2022. She enjoys movies, art, and traveling! When she isn't writing, Maddy is probably rewatching New Girl, Tangled, or Bridgerton.