Wilmington’s Summer-in-February Week as Told by “The Office”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Last week on Groundhog Day, Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow. As the legend goes, this means early spring—which is a relief after the polar vortex that’s been sweeping the nation. Here in Wilmington, we’ve been enjoying a week of 60-and-70-degree weather. Although the temperature is supposed to dip down this weekend, it looks like next week will be mostly in the 60s (can you say, “Hello spring!”).

A lot of people took advantage of the warm weather by spending more time outside: people studied in the amphitheater, ate lunch at picnic tables, napped in Enos, or spent a relaxing time at the beach. So, without further ado, a special summer edition of this article: Wilmington’s Summer-in-February Week as Told by The Office.

When it’s still a little chilly:

The week starts out, and there’s still a little nip in the air. Maybe it’s not as cold as it was last week, but it’s still chilly enough to warrant a jacket and even gloves. Even though it’s still February, you’re hoping that one day soon the sun will shine and it will actually feel warm. I mean, you came to a beach school to get away from the cold! Where’s the nice weather at??

When you step out of your apartment and realize it’s getting warmer:

Whoa, what? Did you read the weather app right? It’s not in the 30s? No, it’s in the 50s! We’re getting closer to the perfect Wilmington day. The walk to class is nice and breezy, not miserable and cold. This is progress!

When it finally feels like spring after a long, cold winter:

Time to celebrate temperatures in the upper 60s today! There’s a breeze to keep you from getting too hot, but it’s nice enough to eat lunch outside with your friends. Grab your Chick-fil-A from Hawk’s Nest and sit at the amphitheater to soak up the sun!

When you realize the warm weather wasn’t just a one-day fluke:

Walking to class feels like September or October, not February. It’s bright, it’s sunny, and people are wearing shorts again. Maybe after class, you can hit up the beach to “study.” Or, pull a Michael Scott and parkour your way down Chancellor’s to enjoy the great weather.

The day you finally break free and head to the beach (and hit up Boombalatti’s on the way):

Another beautiful day in Wilmington, NC. It’s warm, but still not too hot, and you can relax and rejuvenate in the sun and sand with a cool dessert. Just get real ice cream, not mayo and olives like Michael. Gross.

Go enjoy the warm weather Seahawks! Since we live in North Carolina, it’s bound to dip to below-freezing again before too long…

Bonus: When you realize you left all of your shorts at home after winter break: Bonus #2: When the weatherman says it’s going to get colder again:

[Gifs courtesy of giphy.com. Header image courtesy of Comedy Central and NBC Studios]

Rachel is a senior and Creative Writing major/English minor at UNCW. She loves to write about entertainment and often publishes listicles on her favorite movies, music, and TV. Rachel is probably rereading the Percy Jackson books, watching comedy specials on Netflix, or petting a dog right about now. Sometimes, she's doing all three.