This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The November election is right around the corner, and this might be the biggest election year in some of our young, millennial lives. We are citizens, we are over eighteen, and we can vote, so what’s stopping so many of our generation from wanting to exercise this right? It could very well be the fact that our candidates are polar opposites and some find it difficult to agree completely with one or the other. Some millennials have found a “loophole” that still allows them to escape non-voter ridicule by voting third party. However, this could just as easily be argued as a wasted vote, since our country operates by the two-party system. So . . . what are the basics of voting and how should this election be approached, especially for those of us in college? Here are some tips that may help you sort things out.

1. Out-of-State

So you’re an out of state student studying here at UNCW. You might be worried about having to register here in New Hanover and how to go about that, or trying to find a way to get home for the election. Let me give you two words: absentee ballot. Absentee ballots are for those outside of their designated voting counties who still want to vote in the election. (Note: You can also vote by absentee if you are from another NC county, which means you don’t have to drive back home for the election!) It’s easy: fill out the online absentee application and send it to your designated board of elections address. They will send you a ballot back in the mail that you fill out, have a witness sign, and send back. That’s it! There is no excuse for an out-of-state student not to vote in this election!

2. Voting Third Party

Some millennials aren’t sure they like the idea of Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump becoming president of the United States. Problem solved: They are going to vote third party. However, in an election as important as this one, I am stressing to all who are considering third-party voting to think long and hard about their decision. To make it clear cut: The third party candidates will not be elected president. Our country runs on a two party system and the chances of a third party winning the popular vote is highly unlikely. If you really want to feel like your right to vote is making a difference, I strongly suggest taking an online quiz like this one to find out who you are more closely matched with. Sites like I Side With can really help clear up some candidate confusion!

3. Non-Voters

This one is pretty simple–don’t be one of those millennials who thinks they’re too cool for voting in this ridiculous election. It is not a protest to choose not to exercise your right to vote; remember, it is a right after all, not a requirement. Choose a candidate, and cast your vote. Yes, it may sound simpler than it is, but when it comes down to it, you make a choice and fill in the bubble. It’s not so bad. Happy voting!

Photo courtesy of YouTube.com.

Maddie is a senior at UNCW majoring in English Literature with a Professional Writing Certificate and minoring in Women's Gender Studies.