UNCW Student Set to Launch Company in May

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Among being a senior chemistry major from Kernersville, NC, this UNCW student just added one more component to his resume: Business owner. Harvest Company, his newly founded bow tie business, is set to ~*officially*~ launch in May. Just like most seniors, Austin Smith is preparing to tackle post-grad life; however, instead of diving into the hectic job search and graduate school applications, Smith plans on letting his love of art and style, along with his new patented bow tie, take the reins for the next few months, and hopefully years to come.

What distinguishes Smith’s business from any other bow tie company is simple: More bang for your buck. “One-half [of the bow tie] can be inter swapped with any other piece, so we have eight colors that can be intermixed, which gives you 56 combinations,” he said. While consumers will spend between $40-$60 on one item, Smith not only sells his products at a lower price but provides customers with not just one bow tie, but a variety to get you ready for all occasions.

Not sold just yet? Check this out: This young entrepreneur takes customer service one step further and hand-sews every single bow tie right out of his home. In order to turn his dream into a reality, Smith, with the help of a few resources, taught himself how to sew. “Youtube is an amazing thing,” he said. “There was an older lady from my church who taught me how to sew, too.” Smith shared that he felt as though the right people were being put in his path and that everything in his collegiate life had prepared him to create Harvest Co.

Currently, the company is seeking donations in order to achieve their fiscal goal of $7000. With only 10 days left on Kickstarter.com, Harvest Co. hopes to generate donations so that the fabrics and supplies needed can be purchased. In addition to Kickstarter.com, Smith has channeled his determination to his company and marketed his business in downtown Wilmington with fliers, and has also relied heavily on social media to get the word out. “We’re on Instagram and Facebook, and we’re just featured on [Prep Lifestyle’s] Instagram page,” Smith said.

Follow Harvest Co. on Instagram, @harvestcompany and “like” them on Facebook, Harvest Co. Ties! If you wish to donate to the startup company, click here.

photos courtesy of Austin Smith

Gabriella is a twenty-something Floridian who has taken her love of waterfront living and sandy toes to Wilmington, NC! When she's not imprinting her body frame on the beach or stocking up on excessive jars of peanut butter, Gabriella can be found in the lines of Dunkin Donuts scrolling through Pinterest in the search of the perfect apartment decor. Her dream profession is to work for a women's magazine with an emphasis on millennial empowerment. Follow her on Twitter, @gabby_dionisio!