UNCW Lingo Dictionary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

At UNCW we have certain terms and struggles that outsiders have diffuclty understanding. To help newcomers, friends at other schools and family understand us better, #HCUNCW has drafted a small, yet effective dictionary to avoid any misunderstandings.

Beach Blast: (noun) yearly event held at Wrightsville Beach to commence the academic school year; 98% chance of being cancelled due to weather conditions

Chancellor: (noun) the head of a college/ university; position is held by a different person every 3 months at UNCW

Chancellor’s Walk: (noun) Stampede like walkway necessary to access most buildings on campus; 2% likelihood of making it to class without injuries

@UNCWProblems

The Dub: (noun) the term incoming freshman use when telling their friends and family what school they will be attending; term will be dropped within the first 24 hours on campus

Hawk-Wifi: (noun) the most unreliable form of wireless internet created by mankind; likely to go out while taking an online test

Photo credit to Gaby Reyes.

iPrint: (noun) the “easy and convenient” way to print documents through Wifi; likely to not work during a time crunch

Photo credit @Stevenoodlesoup.

Party at Randall: (noun) contrary to belief, not an actual party at Randall Library; the gathering of anxiety filled students attempting to study a semester’s worth of material in one night

School Spirit: (noun) emotional support for an educational institution; nonexistent at UNCW

Stapler: (noun) not found in any academic building for student use; hidden by evil professors who like to punish the unprepared (ME!)

UNCWonderful/ UNC By The Sea: (noun) terms of endearment for UNCW used in early 2000s  and currently still used by the elderly staff and faculty

UNCW Parking: (noun) Every student’s arch nemesis; probably the most hated staff on campus

Waggles: (noun) the aftermath of overstuffing your face at Wagoner Dinning Hall; special assistance may be required

Wagsgiving: (noun) The pre-family-Thanksgiving meal that every student looks forward to; slightly overrated considering the obnoxiously long line that stretches to Schwartz

Wilmywood: (noun) Hollywood of the East Coast; Filming location of One Tree Hill, Dawson’s Creek,The Conjuring, Iron Man 3, We’re the Millers, Safe Haven, etc.

Wrightsville Beach: (noun) the reason you chose UNCW over any other schools; the only time you go to church is for the parking

Have any suggestions or additions to our list? Let us know in the comment section below or on Twitter!