This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

When I am not splitting my time between class, the library, or the gym you can find me laying in my bed devouring TV shows and movies– this is my list of favorites right now. P.S. I am a little bit of a nerd who enjoys watching documentaries and insightful movies but I feel like some movies and shows everyone just needs to watch at least once. 

1. One Day at a Time

This Netflix show centers around the life of a single Veteran mother, Penelope, and her family. It is based off a 70s TV show with the same title and premise. The thing that attracted me the most to the show was that the show was written, directed, produced, and starred in and by Latinos so the authenticity of every day Latino life was not based off of typical stereotypes. The show tackles pretty heavy topics such as the importance of going to church, life of a single mother, and what it is like coming back after serving in the US Army. 

2. She’s Beautiful when She’s Angry

This documentary was assigned to me for homework in my UNI 101 class and I fell in love with it. It focuses on the entire feminism and women’s rights movement from the beginning to now. It illustrated the importance of women’s right to vote, life before and after Roe v. Wade, and how this fight has been passed down from generation to generation. This documentary made me proud to call myself a feminist and even prouder to be able to vote in this past election. 

3. The Latino List 

I accidentally came across this HBO documentary the other day and it really had an effect on me. The entire premise is to illustrate the different things that Latinos are and can be. The speakers come from various background such as rapper/songwriter Pitbull, award winning writer Sandra Cisneros, and NASA astronaut José Moreno Hernández. Each Latino talks about their own story and how important it is to be proud to be Latino. 

4. Barry

If you can not tell already I love Netflix originals so I was ecstatic when I read that Netflix was doing a movie about President Barack Obama. The entire movie takes place right when President Obama (back then he was known as Barry) transfers to Columbia University in New York to finish his degree. It brings to light the racism, identity search, and social problems that made the man we know today.

5. Cuckoo

So bare with me this show is a little weird but weird-funny. It is Britain based show that centers around the eldest daughter, Rachel, who finally comes home after a gap year abroad. She surprises her family by coming home married to a homeless hippy, Cuckoo (Andy Samburg). It is all about the family’s transition to accepting her daughter’s new strange life. If that does not intrigue you enough, Taylor Lautner comes in the second season. 

6. The Hunting Ground

Now these days as a woman in college, sexual assault is always a fear and a topic. This documentary follows two women in their journey to sue their universities and bring to light about how many sexual assault cases go unreported and even worse swept under the rug by colleges across the nation. Thanks to their efforts and determination Title IX has a stronger presence in the upper education realm but they are far from being finished. 

7. The Fundamentals of Caring 

Another great Netflix original that follows the life of Ben (Paul Rudd) and his new path of life of becoming a caregiver to a paralyzed teenager (Craig Roberts) that has great dark humor. So after months of routine, Ben has a crazy idea to take a road trip across America which leads to a great, heart warming adventure. 

Enjoy!

Photos courtesy of Google Images and gif courtsey of giphy.com

Julie is a positive senior from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is an inspiring travel journalist who is double majoring in Communication Studies and International Studies along with having a minor in Spanish. With a lot on her plate you can always catch her in the library or stress knitting in her apartment while bing-watching "Queer Eye" or "Parks and Rec".