lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Things to Not do on a First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

First dates are almost always difficult and scary. You aren’t sure if what you are saying, doing, or even wearing is okay. It is true that every date and person are unique, but there are some things that are NEVER acceptable. Here are the top five things to NOT do on a first date.

1.  Do Not Talk About Ex-Boyfriends

Whenever you and your date are talking, do not bring up old boyfriends or old flings. If you bring them up, your date will most likely think that you are still interested in them or that you can’t learn to let go. You should focus on the guy you are with instead of leading him to think that you are caught up with past relationships. The only exception to this rule is if he asks if you still talk to a past partner. If this happens make sure to keep your response short and don’t tell your date your entire life story.

2.  Do Not Talk About Marriage or Long Commitments

Do not mention, “OMG, I cannot wait to get married,” during your conversation. This will probably scare your date into thinking that you are looking to marry him and that you already have it planned out. Sure, a lot of people want to get married, but mentioning this on your first date is a big NO. Also, you don’t want to mention this because this may scare him away. If you bring up commitment on the first date, he may run for the hills. If the topic comes up on what you’re looking for, just keep it light and not too serious.

3.  Do Not Sit There and Be Quiet

Don’t assume that you have to only listen to everything he says. Engage in conversation and make things interesting. Let him get to know you. Also, if you’re just sitting there, he may think you’re shy or you may come accross as uninterested. If you’re nervous, be upfront–this could be an icebreaker and he probably feels the same! If you cannot find anything to talk about, then start with the basics-ask simple questions. You never know what you might have in common!

4.  Do Not Dress Inappropriately

Don’t dress inappropriately on the first date. This means don’t wear a super low-cut shirt or really short dress. I’m not saying to dress conservatively, but let his mind wander. Also, you want him to respect you. Dressing inappropriately may also distract him from what you are saying. Not only that, but he may not take you seriously if your outfit is distracting from the conversation. If you are questioning your outfit, get a second opinion or put on a fashion show for some friends and have them choose.

5.  Do Not Lack Self-Confidence

During the date, don’t ask him things like, “Do you think I’m pretty?” “Why did you ask me out?” “Are you sure I’m your type?” These types of questions might annoy him and make him question why he really asked you out. You want him to feel like he is the luckiest man in the world to get to take you on a date instead of feeling like he has to continuously reassuring you. Men love confidence-show him the beautiful and confident girl you are by being yourself!

I am a junior at UNCW with a major in communications and a minor in journalism. I have always been interested in writing and I am very excited that I have this opportunity to write for Her Campus. I know it sounds geeky but I love school and to hang out with friends and go fishing and to the beach.
Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_