Top 10 Things for Seahawks To Do in Wilmington Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Every year, thousands of college students spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars to fly south for spring break. They flock to the beach to enjoy warm weather, good tunes, and good company. Luckily, as Seahawks, we have the privilege of being constantly surrounded by those things! Here’s a list of fun things to do in the area over spring break for everyone who’s balling on a budget like me and for all of those Seahawks that don’t feel like leaving the nest!

1. Beach Trip!

This may be the most obvious of the 10 things to do, but it is also one of the most underrated. The possibilities are endless. You could go surfing, get a small party started, read, go fishing, or even have a photoshoot with your homies out in the sand!

2. Camping on the Beach

Camping on the beach gives you the coolness of being at the beach and camping without having to deal with bugs. Moreover, there are less lights radiating from businesses at the beach, so you’ll have a perfect view of the moon and stars. While you can’t camp on Wrightsville Beach, there are an abundance of camp sites available on Carolina Beach!

3. Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUPing)

Stand-Up Paddleboarding is the perfect cross between longboarding and kayaking, yet it’s easier than both. Stand (or sit) on a board and drift while enjoying views that being on land could never permit. If it’s not too windy, you can rent SUP boards from Aussie Island and go out in the intracoastal waterway for as little as $18 for 90 minutes.

4. Canoeing

Canoeing is easier than SUPing and extremely enjoyable. A popular spot for Seahawks to go to is Greenfield Lake. Gliding around on a lake by yourself or with a few friends is always an adventure. Watch out for the alligators!

5. Hiking

Get in touch with nature with a nice hike around Carolina Beach State Park. Hiking through sand to a cool lake is a great way to destress after mid-terms. See if you can find the tree swing! Or if that seems too strenuous, take a nice stroll out to Wrightsville Beach, check out the trails at Kure Beach, or venture out and check out the nature trails around campus.

6. The Aquarium

The North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher offers something to do for people of all ages! View their collection of alligators and snakes, go to their interactive exhibits to touch fish and crabs, learn about Megalodon, or even check out their daily scuba diving show!

7. Cape Fear Beer Festival

The Cape Fear Beer Festival will be taking place from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. in the Wilmington Convention Cener on Saturday, March 5th. This event is perfect for all legal and newly legal Seahawks as there will be a variety of beer and wine styles available for tasting. As an added bonus, be sure to bring a camera because the Wilmington Convention Center is located along the Cape Fear River!

8. Cape Fear Roller Girls Season Opener Doubleheader

For all of you Seahawks with a slightly older soul that wish they could’ve grown up in the 90s, rather than been born in them, the Cape Fear Roller Girls matches are exactly what you need. On Saturday, March 5th, the Cape Fear Roller Girls Black Harrts will go up against the CDD Belmont Bruisers at 5:30 p.m. Afterwards, at 7:30 p.m, the Cape Fear Roller Girls All Stars will go up against the Classic City Roller Girls. These matches take place at CFCC’s Schwartz Center and tickets for this doubleheader are $10, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting The Hope Center of Wilmington.

9. Support the UNCW Baseball Team

The Seahawks have a number of games happening at home over break. Two big games to look forward to are the game against Penn State on March 7th at 4 p.m and the game against UNCG on March 9th at 4 p.m. The games are free for UNCW students as long as you show your one card!

10. Annual Guinness St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival 

Saturday, March 12th marks the Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival. Come out and enjoy the music, dance, and fun that will accompany this celebration and support the Slainte UNCW Irish Dance Club that performs in the parade. The parade begins at 11 a.m. downtown on North Front Street and the St. Patrick’s Day Festival begins at noon at Riverfront Park!

Asia Francine Butler, known amongst her friends as "The Last of the Time Lords" is a professional student for the University of North Carolina Wilmington. After receiveing her International Baccalaureate Diploma in December of 2013 and being immersed in the friendly and lively atmosphere of UNCW, she decided to pursue a variety of interests, including, but not limited to writing for both Her Campus UNCW and Cape Fear Living Magazine, acting as an Orientation Leader for the International Students, being a Conversation Partner for the English as a Second Language students at UNCW, being a Peer Mentor for incoming International Students, and being a Historian in the Seahawk Crossing for the Residence Hall Association, being a Brother of the academic National Honors Fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi, and being a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda's honors society. She writes at least four articles a month, two for Her Campus UNCW and two for Cape Fear Living Mgazine, and has positively affected the lives of hundreds of international exchange students and UNCW students. Furthermore, she have positively affected and engaged in the lives of many people in the North Carolina community through volunteering with Habitat for Humanity UNCW, UNC Weekends, Burrito Bikers, and playing intramural soccer. Although she has a passion for writing, she is enrolled as a history major in the University of North Carolina Wilmington in preparation for entering law school in the Fall of 2016. While she enjoys temporarily living at the beach for most of her college career, her heart lies with her two adorable German Shepherds, Mitch and Maple along with the loving Butler parents and her two creative and beautiful younger sisters in Greensboro, North Carolina.