This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

We all are thrilled for Thanksgiving break and the yummy food we will all be eating. However, what is most important of all? Shopping! Black Friday has been a tradition in my family for a while now, and my mom is a pro. I decided to share some tips in order to survive and thrive during this Black Friday holiday season.

Tip 1

First, it’s important to be aware of the stores that are participating in Black Friday. How horrible to show up at a store at midnight and wait in line for no reason. This is a list of stores as of now who will not be open for Black Friday:

• A.C Moore
  • T.J. Maxx
  • Nordstrom
  • Costco
  • Game Stop

These are just a few places I have read that will not be open for the Black Friday festivities.

Tip 2

Make sure you get the newspaper so that you can get all the coupons and catalogues that come with. Be sure to cut out any coupons you want to use. Also, look through the catalogue and determine the items you want to purchase that day. Having a plan is always essential to surviving Black Friday. 

Tip 3

After rummaging through the catalogues for what you wish to buy, make sure you eat lots of yummy food. Be fueled and ready to take on the sales because it takes a lot of energy to shop on Black Friday. This brings me to my next tip…

Tip 4

TAKE A NAP. It is so important to get some sleep before going out to shop. The worst combination is shopping and being grumpy. It will not be fun and you will not be happy the entire day. 

Tip 5

Be sure to have a crew to go with. People get crazy. You will be shocked how insane people get over a new television or iPhone coming out. Have some back-up with you to keep you entertained and safe. I always go with my mom and two sisters, and we have a blast. 

Tip 6

Make a plan. As of now, you know the items you want to buy. Determine which are most important to snag and make a list of where you’ll go first and where you’ll end up last. Be aware of the times stores will be open because that can also help determine the order in which you shop. 

Tip 7

Be aware of what food places are open around where you are or bring snacks. Shopping can really create an appetite so be aware of what is around in case you need a coffee or a snack to help you continue getting those deals. 

Tip 8

Bring blankets and layer up. You might underestimate the line outside and have to wait for a hot minute. Make sure you are warm because that will make your experience far more enjoyable. 

Tip 9

An item is never worth risking your safety or the safety of others. If you feel like it is unsafe, don’t participate. I know there are some scary situations that have happened before so just stay alert and never put yourself at risk. 

Tip 10

FINALLY, have fun! Shopping should always be an enjoyable experience so make sure you have fun. You will have so much fun with a good group of shoppers and get all sorts of gifts, whether for yourself or others. 

Black Friday only comes once a year. Make sure you are prepared and ready to stop, drop, and shop! Follows these tips and you’ll be sure to have a fun and successful Black Friday.