katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Sweet 16 for Seahawk Savings: Discounts you get for being a student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Everyone knows that it’s easy to fall into the trap of thoughtless spending in college. What students may not know, is that many local shops and restaurants have discounts in store, just for us. Here are 16 locations where you will want to visit – and remember your One Card!

1. Fox and Hound: Located in Mayfaire, this eatery offers 20% off for Seahawks. Cheers to that!

2. Islands Fresh Mex Grill: Sure, you’ve chowed down on their dollar tacos, but sometimes your appetite says “Yo no quiero tacos.” Your amigos will throw a fiesta when you share the news that you get 10% off (anything but tacos) at this restaurant, located on Racine Dr.

3. Timeless Tans:WINTER IS COMING. Save 15% on this sun substitution service, also found on Racine Dr.

4. Harris Teeter: A little work is required for this one, but it’s worth it. Register for the Teeter’s College Rewards program, and link the account to your VIC Card. You’ll earn 10% off purchases during the month of activation, and 5% off during the following months. Valid at the location off South College Rd.

5. Jo-Ann Fabrics: Crafters rejoice! Enroll in their Student Discount Program and receive 10% off all your supplies. Find them at 352 South College Rd.

6. Harmony Yoga: Make saving money your mantra. Save $10 on classes at this Oleander Dr studio.

7. Surf City Surf Shop: Hang ten,dude. Ten percent, that is. You’ll find those savings on all soft goods (not boards) at this Wrightsville Beach shop.

8. Katy’s / Jerry Allen’s : This recently rennovated sports bar will wow you with weekly wing and burger specials, and of course the 10% discount. Stop by on a Friday night for karaoke. Check out their website here.

9. Flaming Amy’s Burrito Barn: You’ve seen the bumper stickers telling you to “EAT AT FLAMING AMY’S.” Now, you have the perfect excuse! This restaurant will save you 10% on your meal. Dig in!

10. Edge of Urge: Snag 10% off in this unique boutique to protect your wallet and study in style! Located downtown on Market Street.

11. Hughes Brothers Inc. : Don’t let car trouble break your bank. Save 10% on labor and 5% on tires and parts at this service center on Market Street.

12. Evolution Salon and Spa: If you’re stressing out at the thought of midterms, you might want to grab a massage, 10 off% at 5205 Oleander Dr!

13. Doctor’s Vision Center: Straining to see the powerpoints in class? Get 25% off of your eye exam and 10% off contact lenses here.

14. Taxis:  Can’t find a DD? Take a cab, on the cheap, with UNCW Safe Rides

15. Carmike Cinemas: Movie time! Catch the latest flicks at a discount rate. College students only pay $7.75 Sunday- Thursday, and $8.50 on the weekends. Enjoy the show!

16. Orange Leaf: Last but not least is FROYO! , a favorite of any college student. Save 15% here. Check out their website to find out about the smartphone app, and vote on the next flavor!

Enjoy these sweet savings around town! I found out about these great deals through personal experience, and this awesome list from UNCW SGA.

Sierra is a Communication Studies major, and finally a senior! In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is the Lifestyles Editor for UNCW's student newspaper, The Seahawk. She is the Social Media Chair for the university's Style and Modeling Company (STYMO). In her free time, you can most likely find her catching a concert at Ziggy's by the Sea in downtown Wilmington.