Sure Ways to Get Over a Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

It’s that time of the year. It’s cold season! Last year I walked into work feeling like myself and by the time I was off, it hit me. The common cold. But I wasn’t having it. I was determined to not suffer from a cold that year. After clocking out, I went straight to Wal-Mart and these are the (not so) secret ingredients that cured me within two business days.

1. Tons of orange juice.

They say to drink a lot of fluids when you’re sick, and I think they usually mean water. But drinking nothing but straight orange juice for a few days definitely kicked my almost-cold’s ass.

2. Vicks Vaper Rub.

I had never used this stuff before, but I had always heard wonders about it! Rub it on your chest at night and you’ll almost instantly feel better. (P.S. The generic brand works just as well.)

3. Cough drops.

These will soothe your throat long enough to stop the coughing so that you can fall asleep. They’re also helpful during the day to prevent those embarrassing coughing fits in the middle of a class!

4. And last, but not least, NYQUIL/DAYQUIL!

This ingredient speaks for itself. Always a cold must have.  

Make sure you’re using all these things together! That is the key to stopping a cold in its tracks.

Elizabeth is a senior at UNCW majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in English.