Summer Saunders, Homecoming Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Summer Saunders

Year: Senior

Hometown: Wilmington. N.C.

Major: Communication Studies and International Studies

The weather went from snow and sleet to warm and balmy conveniently the day after Summer Saunders was officially announced as a finalist on the University of North Carolina 2014 Homecoming Court. Coincidence, I think not. From the catchy slogans that were seen chalked around campus, to her relentless Facebook efforts, Summer Saunders was crowed the 2014 UNCW Homecoming Queen on Feb. 22, 2014.   

HC: What student Organizations did you represent for homecoming court?

Summer: I represented the Communication Studies Society and the Screamin’ Seahawks

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

Summer: My plans after graduation are to pursue my photography career and get involved with an international non-profit organization. I would love to work for an organization and photograph the work that they do and help them better brand and advertise themselves.

HC: What are some interesting facts about yourself?

Summer: I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell, I love to rollerblade, I’m a balckbelt in karate and I went sky diving and scuba diving in the same week!

HC: What is your involvement on and off campus?

Summer: I’m involved in the Communication Studies Society as the community outreach chair, I’m the VP of the Screamin’ Seahawks, I’m a Seahawk Link and Study abroad Ambassador, and I am on the Speakers Bureau for the office of international programs.

HC: Why do you enjoy being involved?

Summer: Being involved not only allows you to meet tons of different people and make new friends, but it also connects you with some awesome mentors and professors on campus. I always say, “life’s not about what you know, but who you know.”

HC: Describe your life in three words? Why would you say those words describe your life?

Summer: My life right now in three words would be: adventure, cherish and joy.

“Adventure” because I really don’t know exactly what I’m going to do when I graduate in December, but that’s okay–I’m on an adventure to find out! Adventure because in the last year I have gone all over the East Coast, to Australia, and to Ghana, Africa this coming summer. “Adventure” because I like to wake up every single day like it’s my birthday and make the most of the adventurous day ahead! That last statement leads me to the word joy- for me, I would not be who I was without accepting the fact that I need Jesus as my Savior every single day. Bad things happen, people are lost, negativity fills our world… And without my faith, I know I couldn’t get through all that has happened in my life. So I’m thankful for the joy that Jesus gives me every single day. Lastly, I said the word cherish- I chose that word because it is my last year at UNCW, and I’m trying my best to cherish every moment, every friendship and every adventure as much as I can, because before long, it will be over! So this year, adventure and cherish and joy describe me!

HC: Lastly, the most important question that the homecoming queen should love to answer, what does it mean to you to be a Seahawk ?

Summer: Being a Seahawk means a lot to me. My dad also graduated from UNCW, so being a Seahawk legacy has been a great experience for me. I think that other than being involved and doing your best to get the most out of your time at UNCW, being a Seahawk also means giving back to the university. Giving back can mean volunteering your time, your talent or even your money. I just think it’s important to be thankful for those that have gotten you to the point you are at. Enjoy and cherish as much as you can while you are here, and  prepare in some way for future Seahawks!