The Struggle of Being a Pale Girl in a Beach Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Ah, summer. The time when college kids hit the beach to soak up that glorious Vitamin D. Then there are the pale people who you will find hiding underneath the rather large umbrella and towel like a hermit crab. We’re used to it. We have accepted that we look like Casper, especially when we wear pastels and whites. Some people think our porcelain skin is beautiful, but really we just feel translucent. God forbid something embarrassing actually happens to us because then we turn into a tomato. Whether you love your paleness, or you tend to wear jeans all summer to avoid contact with the sun, you’re bound to relate to some of these struggles. 

1. We don’t tan, we burn.

2. However, we do have some of the most creative sunburns.

2. Spray tans will never look natural on us.

3. You’re forced to stay inside most of the time, or else you’ll die.

4. People always ask if you’re sick.

5. 30 SPF is a joke to us. We easily need 75 or above.

6. More than anything, we want to enjoy the beach, but we’re filled with fear.

7. We’re tired of the vampire jokes. We get it.

8. We’re more like snakes with all the peeling we do.

9. All the visible blue veins because we’re basically translucent.

10. Above everything, people will never believe you live a beach town.

So we may never have that beautiful sun-kissed glow, but at least we’ll look great when we’re older. Because by the end of the day, we’re the fairest of them all!

Emily is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. She is a double major in Theatre Performance and Creative Writing with a concentration in Fiction. She's also been a member of the UNCW Dance Company for 4 years now. During her free time, she likes to spend it reading Vogue, watching Sex & The City, and shopping at Sephora. Besides taking part in the obvious acting and writing, Emily also is an avid singer and photographer. You can follow her on Twitter: @emilyaleece & Instagram: @emilyaleece