This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Shane Burn

Hometown: Wilmington, N.C.

Year in School: Sophomore

Major/ Minor: Exercise Science and Psychology

Shane is a surfing aficionado, born and raised in our port city of Wilmington.  Simply put, Shane is positive and refreshingly humble.  This hard-working, fun-loving sophomore also has a heart for his friends, family and community.  Read more to get to know this week’s talented celebrity!

HC: What is your favorite thing about being a UNCW student?

That’s a tough one, there’s a lot to like. I’d say either the close proximity to the beach or the friendliness of the people.

HC: You are a member of UNCW’S Surf Club Team. Tell me about your experiences with that. How long have you been involved? Where do you travel?

The club team is awesome, it’s a lot of fun because everyone involved with the team is really cool. At the same time, it’s more serious than you would expect a club team to be. The UNCW surf team has been ranked first on the east coast and has placed in the top five nationally for the past four to five years, so there’s the pressure to perform and represent your school. We travel twice a year, to the east coast championships in Florida and then Nationals in California.

HC: It’s no secret that you have a passion for surfing. You placed first in this year’s NSSA East Coast College Champions Men’s Division.  Describe that experience. Have you won or placed in other recent competitions?

The experience was really unique, I’ve won a few contests, but it was cool to do it for something besides just myself because surfing almost always is an individual sport. Since then, I won the Arnette Cash Pot Pro over the summer in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

HC: Other than surfing, tell me what programs you are involved with at UNCW:

I’m involved with Overflow, a college ministry at Port City Community Church that I started going to as a freshman. It’s something I really like going to and I’ve met some really good friends there.

HC: Which is your favorite and most time-consuming responsibility?

School work is definitely the most time consuming. I’d say my favorite responsibility would have to be working at CB Surf Shop, I like working there.

HC: What is your dream job/ plans after graduation?

It would be great to just surf professionally, but realistically I plan on graduating with an Exercise Science degree, moving to California and working as a surf trainer. Establish residency in California and save money and then go back to school there for Physical Therapy.

HC: From where do you gain inspiration and who do you consider as a role model?

I get inspired by anyone who is willing to work hard for what they want and anyone who is constantly happy. Those two attributes stick out to me in a person and my mom and dad are definitely like that and I look up to them a lot.

HC: Do you have a favorite quote ?

“Let’s Live”- Shane Cross

HC: Anything else you’d like to add?

Smile more!

Sierra is a Communication Studies major, and finally a senior! In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is the Lifestyles Editor for UNCW's student newspaper, The Seahawk. She is the Social Media Chair for the university's Style and Modeling Company (STYMO). In her free time, you can most likely find her catching a concert at Ziggy's by the Sea in downtown Wilmington.