Seahawk Transformed into a Public Relations Pro.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Craig Fishel

Year: Alum

Hometown: Winston Salem, N.C.

Major: Communication Studies

Craig Fishel is a UNCW alum who was kind enough to give us a little advice about getting out into the real world, while sharing what life is like after the dub. 

HC: Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Winston Salem, and then, I went to UNCW. I traveled around a lot—I stayed in Raleigh for a while, returned to Winston Salem, decided to spend a little time in Atlanta, G.A., and then, I ended up in Winston Salem again.

HC: Why did you choose UNCW?

I was 18, and I had the opportunity to be near the beach. I originally wanted to be a psychology major, and I knew the UNCW program was strong, but I switched majors a couple times. I visited the UNCW campus my senior year, and I fell in love with it. I really can’t believe how much it’s grown since I’ve been there.

HC: In what year did you graduate from UNCW?

I graduated in 1998.

HC: What did you major/minor in?

Communications studies, was one credit short of an English minor

HC: You said you worked with The Seahawk, that’s pretty cool. What section did you write for? What other activities were you involved in on campus?

I was just a general reporter, and I was the president of Delta sigma Phi. I stay real involved in fraternities  and intramural sports.

HC: Who was your favorite professor at UNCW, and why?

I have a few professors that really made a difference for me at UNCW, including: Sarah Sabota, Frank Trimble and Dylan Lee. These professors helped to immensely improve my writing and communication skills.

HC: Did you decide to go to work as soon as you graduated, or did you take a little time off?

I worked in a small agency in Raleigh for a little while, and then, I went to Winston again to work as an account executive at Fyock & Associates, that was in 99. I was also a public relations account executive at Mullen LHC in 2000, and then, I went on to being the public relations manager at RJ Reynolds. I

HC: What’s the best advice you can give a second semester senior?

Intern wherever you can. I was very fortunate to intern at WECT, which taught me a lot about what I wanted to do. Do whatever you can to meet and talk with potential employers, and in all honesty, just enjoy college. I had a blast at UNCW and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

HC: Tell us a little more about your current career.

Provide communication services to clients— banks, education and restaurants. It’s interesting for me to be on the agency side rather than the corporate side. The whole idea of starting your own business is very fulfilling—I really enjoy doing it, and I’m really thankful for all the stops along the way. 

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.