Sarah Hennessey, Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Sarah Hennessey

Year: Junior

Hometown: Southport, NC

Major: Biology Major/Studio Art Minor

Meet Sarah Hennessey, she is not only a full time student but also an entrepreneur at age 19. Sarah started her own business, SH CROCHETS during summer of 2015. Keep reading to find out more about how Sarah turned a hobby into a job!

HC: Tell us a little bit about your business.

SH: I create custom crochet boho-styled items, such a bralettes, crop tops and bikinis.

HC: How did you come up with the idea to start your own business? 

SH: I came up with the idea when a lot of my friends took interest in some items I had been making for fun and order to buy some of them. They encouraged me to start selling them to the public and it took off from there.

HC: When did you start crocheting?

SH: I only started crocheting at the end of the spring semester, about five amonths ago. I loved it, so I did it all the time, which allowed me to progress pretty quickly.

HC: What items do you sell and how long does it take to make one order?

SH: Over the summer I made several bikini and crop top styles, which depending on the amount of free time I had, could be finished in a day or two. With my school workload, it takes me closer to a week to finish a single item. Also, as it gets cooler I’m looking to start making some other items like scarves and sweaters, which I expect will take even longer to complete. 

HC: How can we purchase your items?

SH: You can view and purchase my items on my website, by sending me a DM on Instagram @shcrochets, or by emailing shcrochets@gmail.com for any custom orders. A few select items are also available at Tusc Boutique in Downtown Wilmington.

HC: What are your plans for SH CROCHET?

SH: Initially, I didn’t have much of a plan for my hobby to take off like this, but due to the attention it has drawn, I would love to grow my business and hopefully start a small team to work with. I would love to get my items in a few more local stores as well as to keep growing my online presence.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

SH: Right now as a biology major I am hoping to continue on to attending pharmacy school and hopefully work in Hospital Pharmacy.  I know, it’s completely unrelated but I’m passionate about the sciences and think I have the capability to succeed in the career. But you never know, this small business could take off and if it is enough to support me, I couldn’t imagine being happier than doing something I really enjoy as my career. 

HC: What’s your favorite quote?

SH: “Very little is needed to make life happy; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” – Marcus Aurelius 

HC: What are some of your hobbies besides crocheting?

SH: As an Art Minor, my hobbies are constantly art based. I love to create; whether it is through drawing, painting, crafting, sewing, anything. I find making something beautiful so satisfying, especially if I am creating it for someone else. I also love to explore, travel and take care of my ridiculous number of plants.

HC: Do you have any advice for someone who wants to start their own business at a young age?

SH: I am by no mean a business expert, or even very successful at this point, but I think having a unique and desirable product is important. Also, abuse social media. In our generation we have the easiest means of marketing to young people at our disposal. It is the best way to get your name out and advertise yourself without spending any money, and it can help you gain connections you may never make without it.

Photo credit to Sarah Hennessey and Tamtopia Photography.