A Review of Buxom Va-Va-Plump Shiny Liquid Lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Our seasonal goodies have arrived which means it’s time for a product review! This spring season, we received product samples of Buxom’s Va-Va-Plump Shiny Liquid Lipstick in the “wine me” color. I’m all about some free makeup and new lipstick, so I thought I would try it out. I wouldn’t necessarily define myself as a “makeup” kind of girl. While I do wear some kind of makeup almost everyday, it isn’t anything elaborate and honestly half of the time I have no idea what I’m doing. I’d say on the scale of makeup knowledge I sit proudly at a 5-6/10. Lipstick to me is fairly simple and can make you look a little more dressed up and put together even if you really aren’t (which mentally and physically I am usually not). I have only used one Buxom lipgloss in my life, but I absolutely loved it. So naturally, when I saw this product I had to do the test. 

At first glance, I noticed the color and the size of the sample product. The color (wine me) appeared to be a deep burgundy/purple but of course, came out much brighter once opened/applied. I only add a colorful lip if I have some nice event or am going out so this bright shade is not one that I would be seen wearing that often. As for the size, this sample is tiny! When I opened it, I really thought I might use the whole sample just for this review! However, the package does say that only one swipe is needed for full coverage and that was completely true. I have pretty decent sized lips and I only needed the first swipe to cover the top and bottom lip. Considering the size of the sample, I was amazed. Super fast and easy application and it stayed on very well! 

Overall I give this product a 9/10. I really like a lipstick/gloss/liquid whatever you want to call it, that doesn’t dry my lips out. Having the feeling of chapped lips is one of my personal pet peeves. I have the NYX lingerie liquid lipstick and while I do like it, it does feel a bit dry. This Buxom Va-Va-Plump not only looked amazing but it also did not feel dry at all! I’ve already looked up the full-size product and it is about $20 at Ulta, which it sounds a bit much to me, but I’m really considering just splurging on it because it worked so well! I will definitely get a different color though just because this one is not an “everyday” kind of color for me.  

[photos courtesy of Google images and Samantha Ruark]