A Review of 2017 Thus Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

We are only two months into 2017 and so far we have been given a gargantuan amount of evidence that we are in the midst of what will be remembered as a series of “tumultuous” years. To itemize the major events of this year:

• There has been a 115 percent rise in “bias” crimes since the election

• The Arizona senate has` voted to seize the assets of those who plan and participate in protests that become violent

• There have been steps taken in at least 18 states to criminalize protesting

• The ongoing argument over the rights of transgender individuals to exist in public bathrooms was brought to a tragic head

• Due to the shifts in the American power structure we now know for a fact that you do not actually have to be qualified for a job to get it anymore

• There have been 69 bomb threats to 56 synagogues in 24 states since the beginning of the new year

• A Jewish cemetery in St. Louis was vandalized

• A muslim-led campaign to fix the same jewish cemetery was successfully crowdfunded in a single day

• Milo Yiannopoulos, a British public speaker and former editor of Breitbart News, advocated for pederasty, specifically in the case of “13-year-old” and “older men”

• And in more positive news, Ireland became the first country to stop investing in fossil fuels

So in short, these two months have been a mixed bag.

Photos courtesy of Rolling Stone

The views of the author do not reflect the UNCW chapter as a whole.  

Junoir/English Major+Creative Writing Minor