Quinn Buckhout and Madison Bodecker, UNCW Ski and Snowboard Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Quinn and Madison have been friends for some time and they decided to pursue their passion of snowboarding by bringing the club back to UNCW this year. They are co-presidents and both enjoy traveling and snowboarding. Quinn is a business major with a concentration in marketing. She spends most of her free time wake boarding or on the beach. She also likes to dance, hang out with her friends, yoga, and paddle boarding. Quinn’s favorite snowboarding brand is 686. Madison is an environmental science major and she likes cuddling with her roommate’s puppy, wakeboarding, working at the rec center and playing in the sand. Her favorite snowboarding brand is GNU. They both are extremely excited about bringing the club back to UNCW after a two-year hiatus of being without a skiing and snowboarding club.

What made you both decide to head the UNCW Snowboarding/Ski club?

QB: Basically, we both are obsessed with snowboarding and we just wanted to find more people to ride with that love it as much as we do.

MB: We love it so much and we wanted to find other people who enjoy it just as much as we do. 

What are your duties as co-presidents?

Both: We organize trips, fundraisers and get everyone together to bond before the trips.

What’s your favorite thing about snowboarding/ skiing?      

QB:I just feel so free and like nothing else matters; when I’m riding down the mountain, I get in the zone.

MB: There are new things to learn and try, and just that feeling of flying down the mountain is amazing. Conquering new tricks and traveling to different places to try new things feels awesome. There’s always something to do to get better and perfect your style.

What kind of activities do you guys have planned for the club?

Both: We have ski/snowboarding movie/party night, an Islands fundraiser, a hot chocolate fundraiser on Chancellors, and club paddle boarding.

Any fun trips planned for the mountains? If so, where?

Both: Yes! A trip to Beech mountain and a trip to Stowe Vermont. Also, possibly one to Snowshoe, W.V. and Liberty Snow Flex in V.A.

Any advice for students looking to start a club on campus?

QB:If you have something you’re passionate about and love it and want to get more people involved with it, just go ahead and start the club. You have nothing to loose and most of the time the risk is worth it! 

MB:Talk to people to see if they want to join because you never know who else is passionate about the same things you are.  Also go to the CAIC office because they can really help you set up your club.