clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A pre-graduation checklist to prepare yourself for post-grad life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Whether you are graduating at the end of the semester or in a few years, it’s always important to prepare yourself as much as possible for the job search. Even if you plan on furthering your education instead of pursuing a career right away, this checklist can help you use the rest of your time as an undergraduate wisely.

1. Get involved in organizations or activities that are similar to your career choice.

It is common to feel as though you don’t have enough skills or experiences to fill up your resume. As great of an experience the high school year book committee was, it’s probably time to add some more recent activities to your list. Ask around or visit your campus’ involvement office to figure out what organizations you can become a member of. But don’t get involed just to build up your resume. Becoming a part of a campus organization is rewarding, fun, and can help you gain connections and skills that can be handy in the future, so choose wisely!

2.  Fine tune your resume.

Editing your resume can be overwhelming. While looking over your resume, edit it in levels. First, check for grammar and punctuation errors. Next, check for word choices. Finally, make sure that the sections of your resume are in the most appropriate order. If you are further along in your job search and have found some jobs of interest, try narrowing the information on your resume to skills and experiences that pertain to that particular job’s requirements and expectations. For additional tips on how to edit your resume, visit Careerlink.com.

3. Create a Linkedin account.

If you haven’t already, get a Linkedin! This fast growing website serves as an online resume and makes networking easy. You may find that when applying for a job that you will be asked for a link to your Linkedin page. You can also use Linkedin to join groups specific to your job or graduate school of choice where you are able to join discussion boards and read articles about them.

4. Request a recommendation letter.

Asking a previous professor or manager to write a recommendation letter can be intimidating. It’s important to request a recommendation letter with a letter of your own. Make sure it’s as professional and as polished as possible. This blog includes helpful tips on requesting a recommendation letter, and may ease your stress.

5. Do your research.

When finding a possible job or graduate program, it’s important to keep an open mind and keep all doors open. Even if you want to go to school or work in a particular area, research other schools and jobs in additional areas as a buffer. The more research you do on a career or graduate program, the better equipped you will be to impress your interviewer with your knowledge and passion. Visit websites like Indeed.com, Simplyhired.com and Monster.com if you are unsure where to start.

6. Go abroad.

It doesn’t have to be for an entire semester, or even a month. But before you enter the professional world, take time away from your home and get to know yourself and the world a little better. Once you begin your career, you will work for the rest of your life so have fun and be spontaneous! The “real world” will still be here when you return.