This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

As houseplants have become more popular over the course of the pandemic, many people have resorted to finding plants at Home Depot, Lowe’s or even Walmart’s Garden Center. While these places have plants for great prices, it’s always better for the environment and local economy to support local businesses! When I moved to Wilmington, I left behind all the local plant stores I knew and loved in Iowa, and went on a mission to find local plant stores here in Wilmington. Here’s where I’ve been so far:

The Plant Outpost

Located next to the Cargo District, this plant store is the definition of insta-worthy. They are right next to a coffee shop and have a great social media presence, so you can check if they have the plant you want ahead of time! This store posts when they get a new shipment of plants and you can feel the love and excitement for plants when you walk in.

Address: 347 Hutchison Ln Ste 120, Wilmington, NC 28401 

The Plant Place

This plant store is located relatively near campus, and always has a great assortment of indoor plants, no matter the season. They have beautiful pots, and houseplants of all different shapes and sizes. You’ll definitely find the perfect plant for that weird corner of your house or apartment! At peak growing season in the spring and summertime, they also have huge greenhouses behind the store with every outdoor flower or plant you could possibly think of!

Address: 6114 Market St, Wilmington, NC 28405

The Transplanted Garden

This plant store is mostly an outdoor shop and has outdoor plants galore, from trees ready to be planted to small bushes ready to grow. If outdoor plants aren’t for you, they also have an inside section with a wide variety of sought-after houseplants, as well as a whole wall of beautiful plant pots.

Address: 502 S 16th St, Wilmington, NC 28401

Although I haven’t yet been to more plant nurseries, there are a few on my list to still visit. I don’t want to speak on them quite yet, because I haven’t had the chance to experience them all myself. The Purple Pepper Garden Center, the Propagation Station, Tinga Nursery Inc. and the Shelton Herb Farm are on my list to visit! If you have a plant in mind that the three nurseries I mentioned don’t have, Facebook buy/sell/trade groups are also great ways to make connections with other houseplant lovers and maybe even find your wishlist plant!

Iowa girl living in North Carolina