Places to scream this Halloween!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Halloween is quickly approaching and one of the most popular activities is going to haunted houses. But, which haunted houses are actually worth the money? Here are some of the best attractions that you can take a day trip to that will be sure to make your Halloween the best one yet!

Panic Attack- Wilmington, N.C.

Panic Attack is the largest haunted house in the Cape Fear area. It uses Hollywood effects and live actors. I have personally been here and let me tell you, I screamed the entire time. It takes a while to walk through the facility and there are monsters outside before you even go in. This year, they have added a midway section so while you are waiting in line you can play games, or even eat a funnel cake or hotdog. The haunted house is based on your “worst fears”. It is open every Friday and Saturday through November 2nd. Tickets are $20 for general Admission.

Harvest Farm Nightmares- Garner, NC

Harvest Farm Nightmares is located at Ken’s Corn Maze in Garner, NC. It is a 6-acre corn farm with over 2.5 miles of paths. Being a haunted corn maze, the tall corn stocks in the night add to the scare factor. Just like Panic Attack, I have also visited this one and I ended up having to raise my red flag for them to come get me out. There were chainsaw noises and people chasing you around the maze–definitely worth the money! It is open from dark until 11pm on October 25th, 26th, 31st, and November 1st and 2nd. It is $17 per person.

Kersey Valley Spookywoods- High Point, NC

Kersey Valley Spookywoods is located in High Point, NC. It was voted the #1 outdoor scream park in America by hauntworld.com and also the #1 haunted attraction by Haunted House Ratings. This haunted attraction takes up almost the entire 60-acre farm. It has a top notch facility and outstanding effects. They have a year-round team that works on costumers and construction of the scream park to ensure that the attraction is perfect in time for Halloween. Whether you ride the terror tram or go into the haunted castle, you are guaranteed to scream. Tickets are $20 on Sunday-Thursday and $25 on Friday and Saturday.

Nightmare Factory- Havelock, NC

Nightmare Factory is located in Havelock, NC. This haunted attraction is completely new for 2013. There are 5 attractions: Haunted Factory Tour, Psych Ward Tour, The VOID, 3D Fun House and The Mausoleum, which is a multi-level crawl through attraction. The history behind the Nightmare Factory is that in 1923, the workers revolted and burnt down the factory, along with the owner inside. That rumor alone is enough to give you chills. Tickets are $25 for all 5 attractions. They are open through November 9.

All four of these places are sure to make you scream this Halloween. If you are like me, then you’re going to need someone with you to hold your hand the entire way. Gather your friends and family and make them go with you. It’s something fun to do before you go to the typical Halloween college party. Happy Halloween!

I am a junior at UNCW with a major in communications and a minor in journalism. I have always been interested in writing and I am very excited that I have this opportunity to write for Her Campus. I know it sounds geeky but I love school and to hang out with friends and go fishing and to the beach.
Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_