Nicole Dempsey, TealTV President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Nicole Dempsey

Position Title: TealTV President

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication Studies and Film Studies Double Major

Hometown: Originally Johannesburg, South Africa but my family moved to Greensboro, NC in 2003

This aspiring producer enjoys Quenten Tarantino movies and watching Shonda Rhimes with her friends every Thursday night. She loves the beach (what Seahawk doesn’t?!) and traveling. Nicole has lived in three different countries and hopes to visit Greece one day. As this year’s TealTV President, Nicole Dempsey tells us more about her title and responsibilities. 

HC: What encouraged you to have this position?

I had joined TealTV my freshman year and absolutely loved the organization. I made so many great friends and I gained experience in a field that I could one day see myself turning into a career. When the presidential position opened, I merely saw it as another wonderful opportunity to learn and grow with the TealTV organization.

HC: What responsibilities are associated with your position?

My job, as TealTV president, is to oversee all of the different departments within the organization to ensure that everything is running smoothly. I am the person who everyone comes to when any sort of problem arises within the organization. More specifically, I monitor TealTV’s budget, oversee quality control, mediate conflicts within the organization, and fulfill all the duties of a media manager.

HC: Are there other people who assist with your responsibilities? If so, who are they and how do they assist you?

I could not have made it through this past semester as TealTV President without my incredible executive team. They have all been so supportive of me during my transition into this position. Each and every one of them have put in so much effort and time to make this past semester a success and I could not ask to work with a better group of people. It has truly been an honor and a privilege to work with them this past semester. If you are looking for a specific person–one person who has really been there for me this past semester is Robert Oechslin, Vice President of TealTV. He has really been my right-hand man throughout this new and challenging experience. This is the first year TealTV has had a Vice President and Robert has proved himself an indispensable member of the team time and time again. 

HC: What did you and the Executive Board of TealTV want to accomplish this year?

This year, the TealTV Executive Board set out to expand our presence on campus, create high-quality broadcasting content, and create a stronger sense of community within the organization. This past year, we made many great strides towards accomplishing our goals by increasing our following on social media, creating innovative segments for our programs, and hosting successful social bonding events for our members.

HC: What else is in store for TealTV this year?

TealTV continues to grow and evolve every semester. It is our hope that we will continue to represent the voice of the student body and create exciting and innovative content.   

HC: How has this year’s TealTV content differed from the past?

Until very recently, TealTV has been a rather small organization. This year, we have over fifty members and we are continuing to grow. In addition, this year we are working towards building a strong interdepartmental community with in the organization.

HC: What is the best part about being president?

The best part of being TealTV president is seeing members blossom into experts in their departments. Seeing them grow and knowing that you have played a role in their development is truly a rewarding experience. 

HC: Would you like to hold this position for another year?

I would be honored to serve as a president for another year, however that decision is out of my control at this point. This has truly been a wonderful experience and I would love to continue to grow with the organization.

Brittany is a freshman at UNCW. She is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in English. Brittany enjoys the beach, reading, and working out.