News Round Up: What You Missed From Last Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Being a college student can get pretty hectic at times. If you haven’t had time to stay up-to-date on current events, don’t sweat it! Here at Her Campus, we’ve compiled a list of news highlights from last week–October 18 through October 24.

1. UNCW’s Centro Hispano Recognized by White House

The Centro Hispano Program at UNCW supports student, faculty, and staff that are tied to their Hispanic/Latino culture in attaining their professional and academic achievements. On October 15, the White House recognized UNCW for this beneficial program and designated the program as a “Bright Spot in Hispanic Education.” Get all the info at UNCW’s News page.

2. High School Student Hacks CIA Director’s Email

According to CNN, among other news outlets, a high school student recently hacked into CIA Director John Brennan’s personal email account, where he had kept top-secret, sensitive files and information. The issue has been reported to the proper authorities.

3. Korean Families Separated by War Reunited

Many families that have been forcibly separated by the ongoing war between North and South Korea have been reunited, according to BBC News. These meetings are organized by the Red Cross and families being reunited are randomly picked from a computer generator. These meetings are very much dependent on the state of relations between the two countries.

4. Clinton Gains Momentum in Presidential Race

A few weeks ago, it looked as if Clinton was beginning to decline in the polls. However, according to a new poll by NBC News/Wall Street Journal, Clinton is now regaining popularity over her biggest competitor, Bernie Sanders. The race is still young, and the presidential nomination is still anybody’s game.

5. UNCW’s Collegiate Recovery Program Makes Headlines

In late September, UNCW’s Collegiate Recovery Program (known as CRC Hawks)  hosted an inaugural event which celebrated the recovery of those with various addictions. The event was a panel discussion with speakers from other UNC Collegiate Recovery Programs. Interested in knowing more? Read the full story at the Huffington Post.

6. Joe Biden Announces He Will Not Run for President

Joe Biden, current Vice-President, has been considering running for President in the 2016 Presidential Race for quite some time now. He had been factored into the polls and had been hotly debated about with those closely following the race. With the deadline approaching for candidacy announcements, Biden finally made his move and announced that he will not be running for the Presidency. Catch the full story at NBC News.

7. Gilmore Girls to be Re-booted

According to a variety of news outlets, Netflix is currently working on bringing Gilmore Girls back into the limelight. Though negotiations are being made, nothing is set in stone yet. (We all know this hit TV show would do spectacularly well as a re-boot, though, so we’re rooting for it.)

8. Jim Webb Withdraws from the Presidential Race

Late on October 20, Jim Webb announced that he was officially withdrawing from the Presidential Race as a Democratic candidate. Reports say he felt he didn’t have enough support or funds in comparison to other nominees running for the Democratic slot. Now, Web is considering running for President as an Independent.

9. Hillary Clinton Gets Questioned

Presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, sat down to testify during a panel investigation of four deaths to American soldiers during Benghazi–a 2012 over-sea’s attack on an American diplomatic compound by Islamic militants. Clinton admitted that she takes responsibility for the attacks at Benghazi. Catch the full story and all the details over at Buzzfeed.

10. Drug Tunnel Discovered on US-Mexico Border

On Wednesday evening, police discovered a “super” drug tunnel–so named because it’s adorned with lighting, ventilation, and a rail system. Investigators discovered approximately $6 million dollars worth of marijuana while U.S. police arrested 22 people who were involved in the smuggling activity. Find out more at ABC News.

11. Lincoln Chafee Withdraws from the Presidential Election

Democratic presidential candidate, Lincoln Chafee, withdrew from the Presidential Race early on Friday morning. Speaking at a the 22nd Annual National Issues Conference of the Women’s Leadership Forum, Chafee announced his withdrawal and spoke about his continued support for the Democratic party “winning back the House and the Senate.” Read his full speech at Chafee’s website.

12. Hurricane Patricia Threatens Catastrophe to Mexico

Hurricane Patricia, currently hovering near the Western edge of Mexico in the Pacific Ocean, has been classified as a Category 5 hurricane and is the strongest hurricane the Western Hemisphere has ever experienced. Wind speeds have reached an astonishing 200 miles per hour, which creates a highly dangerous situation for those residing on the West Coast of Mexico. Head over to The Weather Channel for all the details.

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.