National Campaign: It’s on Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

When you think about the ideal college experience, sexual assault usually isn’t the first thing that comes to mind.  Unfortunately, one in five women will experience sexual assault within their four years at a university.  Not only is this an extremely high statistic, but we live in a society where alongside grades, social lives, jobs and trying to figure out how to balance college life, we now have to now have to worry about sexual assault, too.  Although there are many wonderful organizations and campaigns that raise awareness to sexual assault, the statistics of attacks are still prevelant.

Recently, President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden made a campaign to raise awareness to sexual assault called “It’s on Us”.  They managed to get celebrities on their team and speak for them to raise even more awareness including Rose Byrne, Randy Jackson, Kerry Washington and Joe McHale.  Along with creating the campaign, they have sent information to schools on how to prevent and react to assault, hoping to make a difference. Here are some tips to help you and your friends stay safe:

• Be a friend; take care of a girlfriend who’s had too much to drink.
  • Remember the buddy system is a real thing; stick to groups of two or more.
  • Don’t forget that we as a community have to look out for each other, if someone looks like they need help, they probably do.
  • Never leave your drink alone or unattended.
  • Figure out how you’re going to get home before you even go out.
  • Always keep your phone on you.
  • Use common sense, if something doesn’t feel safe, it most likely isn’t.

Join the fight and sign the pledge because It’s on Us to end sexual assault.

http://itsonus.org/#pledge

Check this out! —>